Adding new parity drive and all my shares vanished!

relink

I am getting ready to add several new drives to my server. Step 1 was to temporarily add a new 8TB drive as second parity, so I could then remove my current 1TB parity drive later on, and make the new 8TB the main parity drive, so I could then add in the new bigger drives.

So I stopped the Array, and selected the new 8TB drive as second parity, and started the array back up. it doing its data/parity sync and everything looks normal except all my shares are suddenly just gone! what am I supposed to do? is this normal during the parity rebuild, or did I majorly screw something up? I did preclear the 8TB drive before adding it.

Unrelated but there are issues with both disks connected on the Marvell controller, Marvell controllers are not recommended for Unraid for a long time.

LSI HBA doesn't appear to be very happy:

Sep 18 18:58:54 SERVERUS kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: fault_state(0x2622)!
Sep 18 18:58:54 SERVERUS kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: sending diag reset !!
Sep 18 18:58:55 SERVERUS kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: diag reset: SUCCESS

Upgrade to latest firmware sine it's running one with known issues, also make sure it's well seated and sufficiently cooled.

Something is interfering with mount points:

Sep 20 09:54:32 SERVERUS emhttpd: error: get_filesystem_status, 6481: Operation not supported (95): getxattr: /mnt/user/vmicons

Rebooting in safe mode should get the shares back, if yes you'll need to see what plugin or setting is causing the problem.

Ok, so I rebooted normally, and everything seems to be fine and the parity rebuild started over automatically.

But according to what you told me earlier once the rebuild is finished im going to look into updating the firmware on my LSI card, googled it, it doesn't look that hard.

Then I think im going to look into getting a SAS expander so I can get rid of the cheap 2 port Marvell card I have.

3 hours ago, relink said:

I am getting ready to add several new drives to my server. Step 1 was to temporarily add a new 8TB drive as second parity, so I could then remove my current 1TB parity drive later on, and make the new 8TB the main parity drive,

Just as a FYI, parity1 and parity2 are totally different. If you switch the assignments parity will have to be rebuilt from scratch. So... there is no way to keep parity valid while swapping the 2. If you are OCD and need your parity drive to be in parity1 and remove parity2, you will need to build parity1 with another 8TB before dropping the parity2 drive to be a data drive.

If all your data drives are healthy, there is very little added risk in just swapping the current 1TB parity for the 8TB and letting it build parity1 fresh on that drive.

Also, while you are doing the hard drive tango, now is an ideal time to evaluate your backup routine. ALL important data must be backed up on a separate disk, preferably stored in a separate location. Parity is not a substitute for backups, it can only recover from a failed drive. Corrupt or deleted files or general file system corruption must be restored from backups.

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Just as a FYI, parity1 and parity2 are totally different. If you switch the assignments parity will have to be rebuilt from scratch. So... there is no way to keep parity valid while swapping the 2. If you are OCD and need your parity drive to be in parity1 and remove parity2, you will need to build parity1 with another 8TB before dropping the parity2 drive to be a data drive.

If all your data drives are healthy, there is very little added risk in just swapping the current 1TB parity for the 8TB and letting it build parity1 fresh on that drive.

Also, while you are doing the hard drive tango, now is an ideal time to evaluate your backup routine. ALL important data must be backed up on a separate disk, preferably stored in a separate location. Parity is not a substitute for backups, it can only recover from a failed drive. Corrupt or deleted files or general file system corruption must be restored from backups.

Thanks for that, I didn't know that, I assumed they would be clones of each other, so I could add a second, then remove the first to go back to single parity, while keeping my array protected during the build.

I went back hours ago and just replaced the old 1TB parity with the new 8TB, it still has about 9 hours to go. keeping my 1TB parity intact for now though, I imagine if the build fails for some reason I can put the old parity drive back, i haven't cleared it yet.