Offsite backup options: what are you using right now?

cyberspectre

There have been a number of threads about this, but the latest ones date back a year or more, so I'm wondering what solutions people are employing at this moment in 2019. 

Some background: my UnRaid machine is not a 16-disk, data-hoarding closet server. It's a multi-role computer that's used for work, daily browsing, gaming, and everything in between, in addition to being a file server. The array has 2 HDDs, so there is some redundancy. But as there are only 2 HDD slots in the tower, I also have paid offsite backup for peace of mind. 

Until recently, I've used SpiderOak ONE in a docker container. But lately, I've been experiencing issues with the command-line client that make the service no longer usable. The docker container also frequently segfaults for some reason. Suffice to say, it's time to look at other options. 

I experimented with rclone to very little avail, and I don't enjoy the idea of sinking more time into that. This method looks promising, and may be my next route. But I'd like to hear what others are doing first. A simple docker container running a first-party, native Linux client from a reputable service would be ideal. Anybody have something like that?

So I was thinking/wondering if it might be possible to initially fill like a 10 TB external drive (currently I have about 3TB) locally then take said external drive and like connect it to a windows desktop at a friends house or maybe like to the USB port on his router, would I be able to make incremental backups to the drive? 

I just want to have like a offsite backup in case of fire or flood at my home.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I just feel like this would be the cheapest option compared to paying for TB's of cloud storage...

2 hours ago, rbh00723 said:

So I was thinking/wondering if it might be possible to initially fill like a 10 TB external drive (currently I have about 3TB) locally then take said external drive and like connect it to a windows desktop at a friends house or maybe like to the USB port on his router, would I be able to make incremental backups to the drive? 

I just want to have like a offsite backup in case of fire or flood at my home.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I just feel like this would be the cheapest option compared to paying for TB's of cloud storage...

😂 "Hey best buddy, I don't want to pay a company to do my backup. Instead, I'd like you to pay for the electricity and bandwidth needed to do it."

5 hours ago, cyberspectre said:

😂 "Hey best buddy, I don't want to pay a company to do my backup. Instead, I'd like you to pay for the electricity and bandwidth needed to do it."

okay okay, i see what your saying. firstly it doesn't need to necessarily need to "cost" him any bandwidth, also I would be willing to pay him say $20 a year...I think you might be over estimating what it "costs" to run a piece of hardware... I mean honestly I know its not going to consume 100 Watts so... ya its more like 5-10 Watts for like 2 hours at most per day assuming only incremental backups

image.thumb.png.7a7bad786923fc9a8e1e0c0fc4cdac49.png

15 hours ago, rbh00723 said:

okay okay, i see what your saying. firstly it doesn't need to necessarily need to "cost" him any bandwidth, also I would be willing to pay him say $20 a year...I think you might be over estimating what it "costs" to run a piece of hardware... I mean honestly I know its not going to consume 100 Watts so... ya its more like 5-10 Watts for like 2 hours at most per day assuming only incremental backups

image.thumb.png.7a7bad786923fc9a8e1e0c0fc4cdac49.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16

Maybe so, but it's the principle if you ask me. Regardless, you might be able to use OpenWRT to accomplish something like that if you're determined.

I figured out that the issue I was having with SpiderOak was due to one specific file. Deleted the file and now it's all good again. Easy, clean, headless backup.

I've been thinking a lot about this as my array grows. Most stuff I care about (photos, documents, wiki, etc) are backed up to the cloud but for the most part they're small, < 1TB total. The rest of my array (movies, music, etc) is not backed up, I always told myself that it was okay to lose it but the more I collect the more I'm starting to not think that way. A simple flooding from a broken pipe could wipe my entire 10+ year collection. Since uploading 40+TB of data is no small task I'm looking at alternative solutions that will scale and give me the best chance to recover, I'm not sure a backup service (backblaze) or cloud provider gives me that.

So, I've actually started looking at using usenet as a possible offsite backup provider. Basically, each piece of media could be it's own post, encrypted and uploaded. Most modern providers keep binaries for over a year so if I set a rotation of uploading everything yearly I should be able to recover anything I need and I could do it on a per file basis if need be. My simple math says I would need to upload ~100GB/day to upload my entire array in a year which seams very obtainable assuming my isp doesn't care about me upload ~3.5TB a month. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, detz said:

That's over $600 just in drives not counting server hardware. To do it well that server should also be located somewhere else too. 😞

wow, sorry i didn't pay attention that you want to backup 40TB I just saw the 1TB.

There's another user here that has about 35TB and he was using a seedbox provider, but i am unsure on how much he pays for that service.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 3:47 AM, BRiT said:

As I linked earlier, the cost is around $10 - $12 per month for unlimited storage, as Google doesn't enforce more than 5 users setup required. It used to be around $8 a year ago. The person who started that thread and is helping a lot of us out has over 400 TB stored there.

@BRiTGoogle drive does enforce the 1TB limit - I just hit it.... (using legacy google apps account)

Edited by spants