[Solved] Nvidia GPU Pass Through via ROM edit method

Marc_G2

***UPDATE 2***

See posts below for fix.  Essentially the most obvious symptom of my particular issue was the VM not booting and the system log getting completely filled with a message like:

vfio-pci 0000:65:00.0: BAR 1: can't reserve [mem 0x38bfe0000000-0x38bfefffffff 64bit pref]

***UPDATE***

I dumped the BIOS myself and that still didn't work.  But I did discover a work-around to my problem.  If I boot up the system with no display attached, my board will leave the GPU unbound.  I can then load up a VM without issue.  Having to unplug my HDMI cable every time I reboot is not ideal.  So any more suggestions will still be appreciated.

***END UPDATE***

So I've attempted to pass through my GPU via the vbios edit method (see link below). When I attempt to run the VM, I get no display output while one of the cpu cores gets pegged at 100%.  If I choose a different similar (presumably incorrect) vbios, the VM freezes with no CPU activity.   I'm using a Ryzen 3600X on a MSI X470 Gaming Plus Mobo (newest stable BIOS), with a GTX 1060 3GB (EVGA SC).  

SpaceInvader One's Video Guide

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?  Help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Edited by Marc_G2

I dumped the BIOS myself and that still didn't work.  But I did discover a work-around to my problem.  If I boot up the system with no display attached, my board will leave the GPU unbound.  I can then load up a VM without issue.  Having to unplug my HDMI cable every time I reboot is not ideal.  So any more suggestions will still be appreciated.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:27 PM, Marc_G2 said:

So I've attempted to pass through my GPU via the vbios edit method (see link below). When I attempt to run the VM, I get no display output while one of the cpu cores gets pegged at 100%.

What does the syslog look like when this is happening? Post diagnostics.  See my GPU efforts here:

20 hours ago, dgaschk said:

What does the syslog look like when this is happening? Post diagnostics.  See my GPU efforts here:

The issue I'm having is exactly as you described above.   Should these lines be applicable to all hardware configurations?

#fix video for VM
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind

• Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...

First of all a big thanks to @dgaschk for posting this solution! After upgrading my CPU and mainboard I ran into this issue. Your solution fixed the problem without any further issues. Thanks a lot!

I am, however, curious about the origin of this problem. Could you explain to me what these commands actually do? Which "console" us unbound? Why does this problem exist in the first place? 

Best,

Michael

• Marc_G2 changed the title to [Solved] Nvidia GPU Pass Through via ROM edit method