Which 4k graphics card ?

jbrodriguez

I need to upgrade from my faithful ~5yr old GTX 750Ti to something that can handle 4k, in a small form factor, since I'm adding 4k content to my main Unraid server.

I'm contemplating these 3 options:

- GTX 1050Ti: it should just work

- GTX 1650: the successor to the 1050

- RTX 570: can't seem to find it in small form factor

I'm leaning towards the GTX 1650 (even if it isn't Ti).

I'll appreciate any advice or experiences on the matter.

20 minutes ago, jbrodriguez said:

I need to upgrade from my faithful ~5yr old GTX 750Ti to something that can handle 4k, in a small form factor, since I'm adding 4k content to my main Unraid server.

I'm contemplating these 3 options:

- GTX 1050Ti: it should just work

- GTX 1650: the successor to the 1050

- RTX 570: can't seem to find it in small form factor

I'm leaning towards the GTX 1650 (even if it isn't Ti).

I'll appreciate any advice or experiences on the matter.

Yes, I would go for the GTX 1650 better value for your money. GTX 1050 Ti Average G3D Mark 6030 OpenGL: 4.5 $170 vs GTX 1650 Average G3D Mark 7750 OpenGL: 4.6 $150 and both are 75w cards. The RX 570 is cheaper $130 but is a 150w card twice the power draw and heat, will cost more money over time. OpenGL: 4.5 Average G3D Mark 6890 and like you said "can't seem to find it in small form factor".

Edited by jpowell8672
  • 1 month later...

You know, I think I'm going to go for it too. If it works well with unraid and is a half length bus powered, it's for me!

Occasional gaming (by occasional I do mean it would be quite the occasion) and eventual 4K stuff when I can be bothered to get a new TV... Here I come!

If you are considering a gpu to do transcoding of 4k movies then that's a bad idea, the first rule of transcoding is don't transcode 4k, the second rule of transcoding is really, don't transcode 4k, the results will be crap and it takes a lot of cpu/gpu power to do it too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, binhex said:

the first rule of transcoding is don't transcode 4k,

Noted, and thankfully noted is all that's needed since you saved me from falling into a hole of disappointment if that's what I tried.

Occasional gaming etc is enough for me in any case :) In this regard, Unraid gaming in general my lifestyle perfectly at the moment (kid, condo, job, minimal free time).

• Like 1