[SOLVED] Migrate/Sandbox a VM

fl0at

This isn't exactly an Unraid KVM question, but maybe someone has had a need and can tell me how to proceed.  

I need to pull a VM off Unraid, and run it as a VM on my laptop.

My laptop is currently running Windows 10. I was hoping there was a quick way to migrate to virtual box.  

I need to stay in Windows, because I need to run visual studio simultaneously.  

If the hest way to do this is VirtualBox->Unraid->Target VM then I can do that, but if direct VirtualBox->Target VN is feasible that would be preferred.

It also doesn't have to be VirtualBox, it just needs to run in windows, so...

Edited by fl0at
18 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I have tried those before posting.  I'm looking for experience, not top search returns.  But thanks.

If nobody has any experience, then I'll just spin up a VM of unRaid in virtualbox, instead of converting. 

Let me edit to say I did not do Hyper-V (microsoft link) because I'm not running HyperV, but the conversion to VDI is a fail.  As both use qemu-img convert, those links are the same thing, just different toggles.

Edited by fl0at

I think I've got this solved.  Will test on larger VM tonight, but I made a temp Debian 10 VM of relatively no size.

VM settings in unRaid were RAW so I used raw to vdi conversion:

qemu-img convert -f raw vdisk1.img -O vdi vdisk1.vdi

Created a new VirtualBox vm, and used the vdisk1.vdi as the harddisk.  If you boot this, you'll get a FATAL non-bootable medium error (if using UEFI), so go to settings in VB, and check EFI boot.

When it boots, it'll look like it failed, showing the startup screen, but need to find your disk (my single disk was FS0) and then find the boot file, so, inside of the booted VM:

> FS0:

(or whatever the drive is)

FSO> ls

(shows dir)

FSO> cd EFI\boot\

(or something similar)

FSO\EFI\boot> grub64.efi

(or whatever the boot file is called)

It might lock up on the first boot.  I resetted, executed again, chose Advanced boot and went from there, and was able to boot my test image.