nav 10 - XFX RX 5700 XT 8 GB Pass through not working

newmember

Running: unRaid OS PRO  Version: 6.7.2

VM: win10Pro - 1903 

Video:  VNC boots, and RDP works

Video: Gigabyte8400 GS 128 MB, boots and RDP works, nomachine only has supper small display size.

Video: XFX RX 5700 XT 8 GB, NO BOOT, no ping response, no RDP access

Downloaded ROM from techpowerup.com, tried editing it based on SpaceInvaderOne (see attached)

I have tried Hyper-V on and off

I have attached VM CFG XML

I have attached VM Log files

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

XFX.RX5700XT.8192.190616.rom XFX.RX5700XT.8192.190616-edit.rom XFX.RX5700XT.8192.190906_1.rom XFX.RX5700XT.8192.190906_edit.rom Win10-logs.txt Win10Procfg.xml

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's because of a bug so v6.8 final can be released, but v6.9rc will also be released at the same time with kernel 5.4.x

Thanks a lot for the info! I really wish that those Navi bugs will be fixed or maybe have a possibility to choose if you want to add a Navi patch(that works with RX 5700/XT + Windows 10 VM at least). I still have to restart my server as a normal Windows 10 PC if I want to game a bit as I'm kind of a noob and haven't been able to get this all work as planned. 😃

Well I was able to pass the graphics through once. But I didnt have keyboard and mouse passed so I restarted the VM...thereafter never again...it starts the VM in VM Manager but then nothing gets passed through.

I am running the latest RC9

SysLinuxConfig

kernel /bzimage
append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off

PCIe ACS override: Disabled ....for now

VM

Machine: Q35-4.1

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT (0d:00.0)

Graphics ROM BIOS: /mnt/disk1/isos/Gigabyte.RX5700XT.8192.190909.rom

Sound Card: AMD Navi 10 HDMI Audio (0d:00.1)

USB Devices: Microdia USB Keyboard (0c45:7603)

Inside Win10 while in VNC graphics mode I updated the drivers for 3 devices to the Virtual drivers....and I left the graphics card as the standard MS driver.

So it booted once as I said and displayed the win10 desktop login screen as passed through screen.

Thereafter not once again.....

Edited by righardt.marais

Still hoping this eventually gets fixed myself, I can get a working VM but only for a period of time before it crashes my whole server without producing any logs either within Unraid or the VM.

This is using a 5700XT as the only card, using a Q35 machine with the vbios and a script set to run on array start with the below lines in the script:-

echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind

Limetech seems to say "Use Nvidia" when it comes to VM's on Unraid, so I'm going to revert to using some older hardware for Unraid and forget using VM's and then convert my current server back to a gaming PC.

Edited by cobhc
19 hours ago, cobhc said:

Still hoping this eventually gets fixed myself, I can get a working VM but only for a period of time before it crashes my whole server without producing any logs either within Unraid or the VM.

This is using a 5700XT as the only card, using a Q35 machine with the vbios and a script set to run on array start with the below lines in the script:-

echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind

Limetech seems to say "Use Nvidia" when it comes to VM's on Unraid, so I'm going to revert to using some older hardware for Unraid and forget using VM's and then convert my current server back to a gaming PC.

How long is "a period of time" before it crashes your server? I just got a 5700 XT. I had to switch my win10 vm to q35 for the adrenalin drivers to work. I've experienced 2 hard crashes so far. I wasn't sure if it was due to the 5700 XT, or the change to q35. I just updated to the brand new Adrenalin 2020 drivers. The 2020 drivers are still a no-go for i440fx, but it's working the same with Q35.

Edited by Skitals

A few hours, if I leave the VM downloading games through Steam, etc. it will eventually crash the whole server requiring a forced shutdown.

This has been the same with multiple 6.8RC's even with the navi kernel patch and with 6.7.2.

Edited by cobhc
  • 2 months later...

Is there any news? Having also problems with RX 5700 and Unraid 6.82 whatever setting I use (Q35-4.2; i440fx-4.2).. Will it get better with Unraid 6.9 or should I sell the card?

Edit:

Can it help if I add another GPU? So Unraid will use lets say a GTX 1050 and RX 5700 is passed to the Windows VM? If yes, does it matter Which PCI-E Slot the cards are in?

Edited by glockmane
  • 5 months later...

hi:

this is my config: i7 7700 + 16gb + rx5700xt shappire. Actually im running a "petite" unraid server with 5tb array and windows 10 vm. Thanks to spaceinvader's videos i learned that amd gpu needs q35 for drivers to load.

I launched the vm without any bios, because always crash/hang in boot, you can try without loading an extra bios file.

Im happy with the 5700 in windows, performs 95% well in comparative with native instalation.

the only "bad" thing...  i didnt succed a worging catalina vm. Tried multiple forms... never boots... allways hangs before login screen.

hope i can help a little.

p.s. Sorry for my bad english.