confused

cwebb

hi all i am a bit confused with all the terminology as i am new to all this ,i have been trying to set up the unraid server to access out side of my home network , its not a docker issue or tutorial issue its just me as i must be thick or stupid , etc hostname, domainname , reverse proxy ,dns, portfoward , useing this docker for that and this docker for this its all abit alien to me at my age . 

13 minutes ago, cwebb said:

hi all i am a bit confused with all the terminology as i am new to all this ,i have been trying to set up the unraid server to access out side of my home network , its not a docker issue or tutorial issue its just me as i must be thick or stupid , etc hostname, domainname , reverse proxy ,dns, portfoward , useing this docker for that and this docker for this its all abit alien to me at my age . 

Perhaps it would be helpful if you described why you want to access your unRAID server from outside the home.

Do you just need to stream media remotely? Do you want to access and manage the server via the GUI?  Do you want to setup something like Nextcloud for accessing files?  Do you need access to docker container web UIs? Other reasons?

All of the above can be done but they use different methodologies so knowing what needs to be done and why will help the resident experts give you better assistance.

thanks hoopster i am trying to set up next cloud for some acces to files , as i dont have a plex pass i dont watch a lot outside of the home , my son starts universty soon and i would of liked to of set up a space on the server for him to save his work to and access it , i myself have some manuals for some equipment i look at and would like to acces them the server i have is only small 5tb in total , the internal shares work fine but i am struggling with the outside world shares , i did play around with linux for a bit but could not get to grips with it , just got confusing etc sudo apt get , 

thanks again 

21 minutes ago, cwebb said:

thanks hoopster i am trying to set up next cloud for some acces to files , as i dont have a plex pass i dont watch a lot outside of the home , my son starts universty soon and i would of liked to of set up a space on the server for him to save his work to and access it , i myself have some manuals for some equipment i look at and would like to acces them the server i have is only small 5tb in total , the internal shares work fine but i am struggling with the outside world shares , i did play around with linux for a bit but could not get to grips with it , just got confusing etc sudo apt get , 

thanks again 

Ihad the same issue as you starting out and used TeamViewer to access my computers from outside my network. I have 1 windows computer running all the time, so adding TeamViewer to it was pretty easy, I could access my home network, other computers on the network and my Unraid server.  This way I could read write everything as I was at that computer. 

It is just a thought and does work but I am sure there are easier ways in Unraid to set dockers up for your purpose.  This worked for me since I needed access to the 1 windows computer when on the road.

14 minutes ago, cwebb said:

thanks Harro , i am sure there is a way in unraid but i am lost at the moment it is just me being thick 

I had the same issues never could get openVPN to work in docker so I bought a $35 raspberryPI and installed openVPN it was no kidding one line of CMD line text and pasted in the terminal of the pi and boom a secure tunnel from the outside to your internal network I don't recommend port forwarding if you are not thoroughly versed in the security issues that go with it, oh and I did use team veiwer and it worked fine as well

59 minutes ago, cwebb said:

i am trying to set up next cloud for some acces to files

The Nextcloud docker container works with Letsencypt or NginixProxyManager to reverse proxy the managed content through the Nextcloud client.  Admittedly, wrapping your head around all of that when you're unfamiliar with the concepts and terminology is difficult and presents a steep learning curve.

I have yet to go down the Nextcloud path as I find it just as easy to access what I need on local unRAID shares through ZeroTier.   Its easier to understand and configure and works for my limited needs.  Basically, it makes all the local and remote devices in your ZeroTier network look like devices in a local LAN.  From a remote computer in my ZeroTier network, I just map a drive to the needed unRAID share(s) via the unRAID IP address assigned in the ZeroTier Network.  Then it is just a matter of browsing the share content as if it were a local drive. 

You just need to install the ZeroTier docker on unRAID  (and configure your ZeroTier network of course) and the ZeroTier client on the remote devices that need access to the unRAID server content.  It is perhaps not as elegant as a Nextcloud setup, but, it works very well for my needs.

Search for zerotier in Apps and check out the support forums for that container for more information to determine if it meets your needs.