r710 from perc6i to h200 - preserve data

scubieman

Trying to upgrade from raid controller to sata controller AKA from per6i to h200.

I have been using this server with perc6i for about a year now. So i want to be able to preserve the data if possible.

As of now most if not all is backed up. At least important things are.

H200 needs to go into PCIE slot not the internal storage slot from what I hear. Do i just rebuild the array with the drives? Do they have to be same order? 

If you can, I would only move 1 drive to the new controller, do a new config with trust parity checked and see if it mounts ok. I suspect it may not, and will need to be rebuilt to move the partition to the correct location.

This migration is a complicated procedure if the RAID controller has messed with the basic layout of the drives, hopefully the RAID board passed the drive through unmolested, in which case only the drive ID will likely change.

Drive order doesn't matter if using parity1, it does matter if using parity2, whether or not you only have 1 parity drive is irrelevant.

Before you start playing, be absolutely sure you have a current list of which serial number drive was in each logical slot.

@johnnie.black has helped with these types of transitions before, he may know offhand whether a perc6i is going to be a pain to migrate.