Drive never gets spun down after its SMART page viewed

ldrax

Not sure if this is known, but if a drive is in spun-down state, and I click the device name, say, /dev/sdd, from the Dashboard page, the page that follows seems to wake up the hdd (presumably to get SMART data), but from here on the spin-down delay never gets into effect, this drive will stay Active/Idle indefinitely.
The Main page will keep showing * (standby) on the status column for the said drive, while the command line hdparm -C /dev/sdd shows Active/Idle.

I was giving a wrong example, the drive in question is part of the array, perhaps I shouldn't have said /dev/sdd, rather: the fourth drive in the array.
So after observing for a few hours noting that the drive wasn't spun down, I browsed inside the drive content to give it 'drive activity'. Sure enough, after the global spin-down delay elapsed, the drive was spun down as it should be.
This makes me think that, if an array drive in spun-down state is waken up by SMART-accessing command, the array won't 'notice' it, and hence won't spin it down after the spin-down delay elapsed.

1 minute ago, Zonediver said:

hdparm -y $(ls /dev/sd*|grep '[a-z]$') >/dev/null 2>&1

I take it that this command will put the drives to standby mode immediately? Preferably if there's still a way to respect the global spin-down delay settings.

Anyway, this issue is not a big deal for me for the time being, because 'accessing the SMART page' of a drive is not a thing that I do very often.

8 minutes ago, ldrax said:

I take it that this command will put the drives to standby mode immediately? Preferably if there's still a way to respect the global spin-down delay settings.

Anyway, this issue is not a big deal for me for the time being, because 'accessing the SMART page' of a drive is not a thing that I do very often.

If executed, yes - thats why you can use the cron every 15min.

But this has no negative effect - the drive will change his state from active/idle to standby - nothing else.

Working disks are not affected.

Edited by Zonediver
8 minutes ago, ldrax said:

So perhaps I will set up the script with the cron schedule matching the spin-down delay then. I think that will do, better than having to manually remember to spin it down.

Thanks @Zonediver

It has nothing to do with the spindown.

The Info in the Dashboard, that it says "standby", is wrong! It can be active/idle too.

This command sets all drives to a defined status - from "active/idle" to "standby" - nothing else.

Edited by Zonediver
14 hours ago, ldrax said:

oh now I got confused. I always thought putting it into standby means telling it to spin down.

What you do, is pushing the button "Spindown".

But it depends on the HDD-model if they go in "real" standby or just active/idle.

I had an old WD-Green in my server - this stupid '§%*"& did never go into "standby" so i removed it 😉

Edited by Zonediver