Highpoint Rocket 750 HBA + drives not showing

Hey folks,

I just got my machine up and running. The problem I am having is getting my Highpoint Rocket 750 to show up and the drives with it. I only have a single drive attached presently for troubleshooting purposes. I have attached my diagnostics file for your perusal. I noticed the 750 showing up on boot in the loading screen before the GUI loaded up but nothing beyond that.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

snds-unraid-diagnostics-20190926-0143.zip

Likely a issue with IOMMU:

Sep 25 18:16:56 SNDS-Unraid kernel: r750:adapter at PCI 8:0:0, IRQ 69
Sep 25 18:16:56 SNDS-Unraid kernel: r750 0000:08:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0x0000000816c81004 flags=0x0020]
Sep 25 18:16:56 SNDS-Unraid kernel: r750 0000:08:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0x000000081b03d004 flags=0x0020]

Disabling AMC-Vi should make it work, but you won't be able to passthough hardware to VMs, alternatively replace it with an LSI HBA.

• Like 1
  • SNDS changed the title to [SOLVED] Highpoint Rocket 750 HBA + drives not showing

So, I rebooted to install my NVMe storage drives (WD Blue 1TB x2) for cache as well as the rest of my hard drives and for some reason the Rocket 750 isn't showing up anymore. I've attached some more diagnostics but I'm wondering if this thing is just flaky (a la the issues with Marvell controllers previously mentioned). I have tried other PCI-e slots to no avail. It worked fine all day. I also made sure to disable any other virtualization functions in the BIOS to be sure. I'm going to attempt to update the BIOS version next to see if that helps. 

@johnnie.black or someone else that's around, can you check the new diag file to see if it's something software related? Additionally, could someone hazard a suggestion for an alternative card (or two) that are --relatively-- inexpensive and can accommodate up to 45 drives? I'm using one of those Storinator cases and want to be able to use all 45 drives eventually (I have an LSI HBA to cover the other 5 drives that the Rocket 750 can't). The Rocket card was a second hand purchase via eBay and I'm thinking this might be a return.

• SNDS changed the title to Highpoint Rocket 750 HBA + drives not showing

I tried various PCIe slots, regrettably I don't have another board to test with so I'm going to call this one dead, especially as the other slots are shown to have worked with other devices (10gb ethernet as well as two different GPUs).

I have 4 PCIe 16x slots and 1 PCIe 1x and need to retain 1 for my GPU (Quadro P2000) for Plex hardware transcoding. What alternatives do you think could work in those circumstances? The ones I've found end up requiring 2 controller boards and 2 multiplier/extender cards to fill the need of 45 drive bays all of which would have to use the 16x slots. At that point, with those 3 cards I could buy a brand NEW Rocket 750 (as this current one was used via eBay) for the same price.

I don't need the 45 drives up front but I do want the device future-proofed for long-term expansion. I'd much rather know that the setup is ready to receive new devices than have to upgrade again down the line to make use of the additional slots. Since I'm somewhat new to HBAs, I wanted to confirm this because I wasn't sure when I was shopping around, I can use a single HBA with two ports, use one port to connect to 1 extender and the other going to the second? I was under the impression that the extender would require both input ports to get all of the extender outputs to work.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, SNDS said:

That's a great thread, thanks Johnnie. I'll peruse those and see what setup both gets me the most speed and the cheapest price. Cheers!

what did you end up going with?  pretty sure my storinator's R750 just died, and it isn't supported in unraid 6.9 either, so I guess it's time to change directions.

i've noticed that 45Drives uses a custom SATA + power cable to each drive, which has the SFF-8087 end.  did this restrict your choices?

Edited by akme1245