Unraid 6.7.2 - Slow Web GUI (Apps & Plugins Only)

Hi everyone,

I've been using Unraid 6.7.2 for about a week now and I've noticed that the web GUI takes a substantially long time to load when I select the Apps or Plugins main menu headers. Another thing that I have noticed is that I cannot get "Fix Common Problems" to successfully complete a scan, as it never stops scanning (even after 30+ minutes).

• Plugins: 2-3 min load time
  • Apps: ~30 sec load time

These times are consistent whether I am on the local network or accessing the GUI through my network VPN. Everything else on the web GUI loads instantly.

I'm connected to a gibabit ubituiti network via Cat 7 (USG->8 Port Switch-> Server), and my ISP subscription 1Gps up/down.

I'm not quite sure what to do to improve the load times. I haven't moved any files over to the server yet, as I want to get all dockers, VMs, etc installed and running smoothly before I do so (currently only have a few dockers and no VMs installed). I could do a full wipe and reinstall, but that seems like it would be like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

Does anyone have any ideas as far as where to look for a guide on this issue or how to potentially solve the issue?

I've attached diagnostics reports for reference.

tower-diagnostics-20190926-1648.zip

You aren't kidding... 1,098 NVMe Error Information Log Entries. 

I see the following error types:

• Bluetooth: hci0: failed to open Intel firmware file:intel/ibt-hw-
  • nvme nvme1: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.
  • nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.
  • EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC disabled.
  • EDAC amd64: ECC disabled in the BIOS or no ECC capability, module will not load.
  • Either enable ECC checking or force module loading by setting 'ecc_enable_override'.
     (Note that use of the override may cause unknown side effects.)
  • kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized
  • print req error: i/o error, dev nvme0n1
  • AMD-vi: Event logged [IO_Page_Fault
  • BTRFS warning (device nvme0n1p1): failed to trim
  • Tower ntpd[2524]: unable to create socket on br0 (3) for fe80::f2:c0ff:fe87:2c1a%15#123
  • Tower ntpd[2524]: failed to init interface for address fe80::f2:c0ff:fe87:2c1a%15
  • SSL connection & authorization errors
  • HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
  • Tower kernel: ccp 0000:08:00.2: psp initialization failed

It looks like these are a combination of BIOS (ECC disabled) and OS configuration issues, right? Do you think there are any issues regarding hardware incompatibility?

Edit: I'm using Inland Premium NVMe if that makes any difference.

Unraid Syslog.pdf

Edited by Giggity_Grant

@trurl I just read the "need help? Read me first" link in your signiature. Sorry, I apologize for not searching out that post first.

Here is my hardware info and add ons/plug ins loaded:

Hardware

• Motherboard:  ASRock - X399 Professional Gaming
    • BIOS Information
          Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
          Version: P3.70
          Release Date: 08/27/2019
          Address: 0xF0000
          Runtime Size: 64 kB
          ROM Size: 16 MB
          Characteristics:
              PCI is supported
              BIOS is upgradeable
              BIOS shadowing is allowed
              Boot from CD is supported
              Selectable boot is supported
              BIOS ROM is socketed
              EDD is supported
              5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
              3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
              3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
              Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
              8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
              Serial services are supported (int 14h)
              Printer services are supported (int 17h)
              ACPI is supported
              USB legacy is supported
              BIOS boot specification is supported
              Targeted content distribution is supported
              UEFI is supported
          BIOS Revision: 5.14
  • CPU: AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2950X
  • GPU: MSI GT710 2GB D3 PCIE LP
  • PSU: CORSAIR 850W HXI 80+P FM ATX PSU
  • Memory: 4 x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK
  • NVMe: 2 x INLAND 1TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD
  • HDDs: 8 x WD Red (Shucked from WD EasyStore: WD80EMAZ)
  • CPU Cooler: ENERMAX TR4 II 360 AIO CPU COOLER

Plugins

• ca.backup2.plg - 2019.03.23
  • ca.cleanup.appdata.plg - 2019.09.15
  • ca.update.applications.plg - 2019.09.09
  • community.applications.plg - 2019.09.22
  • dynamix.active.streams.plg - 2019.01.03
  • dynamix.day.night.plg - 2018.08.03i
  • dynamix.s3.sleep.plg - 2018.02.04
  • dynamix.ssd.trim.plg - 2017.04.23a
  • dynamix.system.autofan.plg - 2017.10.15
  • dynamix.system.info.plg - 2017.11.18b
  • dynamix.system.stats.plg - 2019.01.31c
  • dynamix.system.temp.plg - 2019.01.12a
  • fix.common.problems.plg - 2019.09.23
  • NerdPack.plg - 2019.01.25
  • unassigned.devices.plg - 2019.09.14
  • unbalance.plg - v2019.09.07
  • unRAIDServer.plg - 6.7.2

Docker Containers

• duckdns
  • binhex-emby

I've also attached the .txt file of the syslog rather than a PDF.

syslog.txt

Edited by Giggity_Grant

Are you sure the nvme have adequate cooling? I had one in my desktop as the boot drive, and it would overheat to the point that after a crash the BIOS couldn't even see it to boot from. I put a heat sink on it.

I don't know about some of those errors but they do sound hardware related. Your memory isn't ECC so I think you can probably ignore those.

Take a look at this down into the post a little way about some tweaks for Ryzen:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

I'm using 3 x 140mm fans in addition to the 3 x 120mm CPU radiator fans in a fairly large mid-tower case (Define r6), so there's quite a bit of airflow. Unraid is reporting that the NVMe cache drive is at 29C, so it doesn't appear that it is overheating. This is making the assumption that Unraid is pulling the correct temperature, though.

Thank you for sending that link over, I'll read over that and implement those tweaks when I get home from work tonight.

In the event that this doesn't solve the issues, would it make sense to completely wipe the OS/cache/array and start fresh, or do you have any other recommendations before moving to that?

I'm not quite sure how I would perform a full wipe and fresh install, but I assume that the Unraid v6 manual has information on it. If not, I'm sure theres a guide or thread on this forum that details how to do it.

I apologize for my ignorance, it's my first foray into Unraid, or anything outside of Windows or Mac OS for that matter.

IMG_0170.jpg

Edited by Giggity_Grant
4 hours ago, Giggity_Grant said:

I'm not quite sure how I would perform a full wipe and fresh install

In some sense, Unraid does a fresh install each time it boots. The OS is contained on archives on the boot flash. Those archives are not changed by anything you do. They are updated whey you update the OS.

Those archives are unpacked into RAM at each boot and the OS runs completely in RAM. Any settings you make in the webUI are also stored on the boot flash so they can be reapplied at boot.

The array and cache just have your data.

So, as you can see, wiping everything really doesn't make much sense. It is not like Windows. It is possible to reset some of your configuration but it isn't clear any of that is involved in your problem.

@trurl Based on the thread, I disabled Global C States in my BIOS settings. I didn't notice any immediate changes, but I wasn't able to edit the \\tower\flash\config\go script, as I do not have any windows devices currently and flash only has SMB/Linux share.

What did make a difference was turning off the automatic update notifications for plugins. Performing this step dropped the wait time only down to about 3 seconds.

I also noticed a major issue on my Unraid network settings. For some reason I had listed the server's own IP as the IPv4 #1 DNS server and had 8.8.8.8 as the #2 DNS Server. I changed these settings to list 8.8.8.8 as the only DNS server and increased my MTU to 9000 (to match jumbo frames setting that's enabled on my network). 

After making those network changes, Apps load instantly and fix common problems scans successfully.

I'm still seeing the same number of error information log entries on the NVME cache drive, but I'm not too sure what to do about that, outside of buying an SSD and moving the cache over to it.

tower-diagnostics-20190927-2035.zip

Edited by Giggity_Grant
  • Thanks 1