[Support] xthursdayx - gPodder

gPodder icon

Application Name: gPodder

Application Site: https://gpodder.github.io/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/xthursdayx/gpodder-docker

Github: https://github.com/xthursdayx/gpodder-docker

Docker image of the gPodder podcast client with a built-in browser-based GUI.

gPodder is a simple, open source podcast client written in Python using GTK+. In development since 2005 with a proven, mature codebase.

Setup Instructions:

- Map "/config" to your choice of folder location. That is where all of your configuration and database files will reside, so you won't lose data when you update, reinstall, etc.
- Map "/downloads" to your chosen downloads folder location. This is the directory gPodder will download your podcasts to. 
- Replace <port> with your choice of ports.
- Replace PASSWORD with the a password for the WebUI (optional)

- Ctrl-Alt-Shft will bring up the menu that allows changing input options, as well as controlling the clipboard.

To access the GUI, point your web browser to http://SERVERIP:3000 (replace SERVERIP with the correct value).

Attention Existing gPodder Docker users
This image has been rebased and the config directory structure has changed slightly. If you have settings and/or subscription data you'd like to preserve, please be sure to copy the contents of /config/gPodder to /config after pulling the latest image and then restart your container.

If you appreciate my work please consider buying me a coffee, cheers! 😁

btn_donate_SM.gif

You can get support for my Unraid Docker Templates and Docker Images here.

Edited by xthursdayx
Added migration information for existing users.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First of all, thank for this docker. I try in the past to make a gPodder docker but couldn't make it work. I have a Ubuntu VM for this and always wanted to move it to docker.

That being said, I have some strange behavior with this Docker.

1:

when I try to connect to the guacamole login screen it give me a connection error. When I click home it forward me to gPodder but not under IP/#/client/gPodder

Everything seem to work but not under your GUI web browser address

Is this a normal behavior?

image.png.23b71146a42374c22d891538e4c765b3.png

image.png.af9f151db9fc9387c62d209180b4c014.png

2:

Some of my french podcast seem to have character that are not recognize in this docker and cannot be added to the docker. I do not have this problem in my VM. Is there something I can do to add those character?

image.png.f6cc08ab81b716c9c93f2d8fe4e2f1b3.png

The name of the podcast is Ça s'explique "Ç" seem to be character \xc7

If you want to test, the feed french podcast is: http://feeds.feedburner.com/CaSExplique

Regards,

Settings:

My md5 is ad4ca80f3a003a299fbd3f98b5b9952c which is md5 for "gpodder"

image.thumb.png.8661db4ce02d3f819d09b149d53581ec.png

Thanks for the feedback @tacomaster27 . Let me see if I can address your issues.

43 minutes ago, tacomaster27 said:

1: when I try to connect to the guacamole login screen it give me a connection error. When I click home it forward me to gPodder but not under IP/#/client/gPodder

Everything seem to work but not under your GUI web browser address

Is this a normal behavior?

The exact thing happens to me as well, this seems to be an issue with how the base image handles the gPodder login. Since it has been easy to work around this (by just clicking "home") I haven't worried about it too much, however, I'll look into it some more to see if I  can figure out what is causing the problem. 

1 hour ago, tacomaster27 said:

Some of my french podcast seem to have character that are not recognize in this docker and cannot be added to the docker. I do not have this problem in my VM. Is there something I can do to add those character?

This too appears to be an issue with the GUI base image/Guacamole, specifically how it is encoding non-ASCII characters. I will discuss with maintainers of the base image to see if this can be fixed. 

I'll report back as soon as I know more about if/when this can be resolved. Thanks for your patience. 

• 2 weeks later...

@tacomaster27 apologies that it took me a while to get back to this; work has been busy. I believe that both of your issues should now be resolved in the most recent version of this docker image.

I fixed the first issue by updating the unRAID template and changing the WebUI location. In terms of the second issue, I found out that this was being caused because most docker containers start with the ENV variable LANG=C set, which is a problem for UTF-8 characters. I've updated the container with LANG=C.UTF-8.

Please delete your gPodder folder, container and image and then install the newest version with the updated template from CA. Let me know if you're still having issues with podcasts that have non-ASCII characters. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this docker xthursdayx.

Im having some trouble running it on my Synology.
My config (docker-compose):

gpodder:
    container_name: gpodder
    environment:
      - HEIGHT=720
      - WIDTH=1280
      - TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
      - GUAC_USER=freakshock
      - GUAC_PASS=fd7ebf29c5e15efdf6ebd60518b4d7aa
    image: 'xthursdayx/gpodder-docker'
    ports:
      - '8090:8080'
      - '3390:3389'
    restart: always
    volumes:
      - '/volume1/docker/gpodder:/config'
      - '/volume1/HDD1/Podcasts:/downloads'

Log:

Build Date: 03 June 2019  08:10:35AM

xorg-server 2:1.19.6-1ubuntu4.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 

Current version of pixman: 0.34.0

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,

(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.pid-402.log", Time: Mon Nov  4 20:33:27 2019

(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xrdp/xorg.conf"

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

guacd[404]: INFO:	Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 0.9.14 started

guacd[404]: INFO:	Listening on host 127.0.0.1, port 4822

xorgxrdpSetup:

xrdpdevSetup:

rdpmousePlug:

rdpkeybPlug:

rdpIdentify:

rdpDriverFunc: op 10

:

rdpPreInit:

rdpScreenInit: virtualX 800 virtualY 600 rgbBits 8 depth 24

rdpScreenInit: pfbMemory bytes 1920000

rdpScreenInit: pfbMemory 0x7f27947a7010

rdpSimdInit: assigning yuv functions

rdpSimdInit: cpuid ax 1 cx 0 return ax 0x000406c4 bx 0x04100800 cx 0x43d8e3bf dx 0xbfebfbff

rdpSimdInit: sse2 amd64 yuv functions assigned

rdpXvInit: depth 24

rdpClientConInit: kill disconnected [0] timeout [0] sec

rdpScreenInit: out

rdpmousePreInit: drv 0x7f2796b6fdb0 info 0x7f2796cda070, flags 0x0

rdpmouseControl: what 0

rdpmouseDeviceInit:

rdpmouseCtrl:

rdpRegisterInputCallback: type 1 proc 0x7f278e6acc60

rdpmouseControl: what 1

rdpmouseDeviceOn:

rdpkeybPreInit: drv 0x7f2796b5e800 info 0x7f2796e4aa80, flags 0x0

rdpkeybControl: what 0

rdpkeybDeviceInit:

rdpkeybChangeKeyboardControl:

rdpkeybChangeKeyboardControl: autoRepeat on

rdpRegisterInputCallback: type 0 proc 0x7f278e4a9530

rdpkeybControl: what 1

rdpkeybDeviceOn:

rdpSaveScreen:

rdpDeferredRandR:

rdpResizeSession: width 1024 height 768

calling RRScreenSizeSet

rdpRRScreenSetSize: width 1024 height 768 mmWidth 271 mmHeight 203

rdpRRGetInfo:

screen resized to 1024x768

RRScreenSizeSet ok 1

rdpInDeferredUpdateCallback:

rdpkeybChangeKeyboardControl:

rdpkeybChangeKeyboardControl: autoRepeat off

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

rdpRRGetInfo:

Obt-Message: Xinerama extension is not present on the server

Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml"

/usr/bin/env: 'python': No such file or directory

rdpRRGetInfo:

Storing downloads in /downloads (GPODDER_DOWNLOAD_DIR is set)

1572899614.581293 [gpodder.sync] WARNING: Could not find gpod

s6-svwait: fatal: timed out

guacd[404]: WARNING:	Guacamole handshake failed: Timed out

Any idea what's wrong here?

2 hours ago, freakshock said:

Thanks for this docker xthursdayx.

Im having some trouble running it on my Synology.

Any idea what's wrong here?

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. I don't really know anything about Synology. I assume that it is not running unRAID though, correct? If not, I would open an issue on Github page for the docker image rather than here, since this forum is specifically for users running unRAID.

Have you been able to run other docker containers that use Guacamole?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. Less of a resource hog than Airsonic when now I only need the podcatcher component.

Would you be able to update it to include ffmpeg or avconv? My Sansa mp3 player seems to have problems with m4a files so it would be nice to autoconvert them on d/l. If not I'll have to script something up.  Thanks 

On 11/23/2019 at 10:00 PM, Loch said:

Thanks for this. Less of a resource hog than Airsonic when now I only need the podcatcher component.

Would you be able to update it to include ffmpeg or avconv? My Sansa mp3 player seems to have problems with m4a files so it would be nice to autoconvert them on d/l. If not I'll have to script something up.  Thanks 

That would be something to take up with the folks who make gPodder. I just dockerized it with the Guacamole GUI and created the unRAID template.

I'd check here to see if there are any existing issues on the Github page, and if not open a new one: https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues

Edited by xthursdayx
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:10 PM, xthursdayx said:

That would be something to take up with the folks who make gPodder. I just dockerized it with the Guacamole GUI and created the unRAID template.

I'd check here to see if there are any existing issues on the Github page, and if not open a new one: https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues

There is an extension in GPodder which will auto convert to mp3 on download but you need to have ffmpeg installed on the system with it. I thought if you added the ffmpeg install to the container it might work. 

4 hours ago, Loch said:

There is an extension in GPodder which will auto convert to mp3 on download but you need to have ffmpeg installed on the system with it. I thought if you added the ffmpeg install to the container it might work. 

Ah, I see. I'll see about adding ffmpeg to the container to see if that will work. I'll let you know once it's updated. 

10 hours ago, aussie_huddo said:

Any reason why this is 3.10.1 version of gpodder and not the latest (3.10.1)??

I'm not sure I understand your question... You typed 3.10.1 twice. 

If what you meant to ask me is why this docker installs 3.10.1 rather than 3.10.11, which is the latest version, it is because this container is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) and the latest source package available for that distro is 3.10.1. 

Is there some issue you're seeing with 3.10.1 that has been fixed by 3.10.11?

Edited by xthursdayx
  • 5 weeks later...

@Loch and @ezzys I knew that, but just figured that it was a quirk of Guacamole, the GUI software. 

However, I just found out that Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Ctrl+Cmd+Shift on MacOS) opens the menu that allows you to control the GUI clipboard. I just tested in Brave and this worked, though it doesn't seem to work in Firefox, at least the way I have Firefox set up. 

Hope that helps. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, smikwily said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to "expand" a podcast that was previously added? I added a podcast and had most of them downloaded before I realized that it was limited to 200. I changed the program default to 500, but the original won't update past 200.

Hey, sorry, I hadn't seen your post. I haven't had this problem, so I'm not sure exactly how to fix it. Have you tried manually downloading additional episodes? My only other suggestion would be to delete the podcast and re-add with the default to 500, though I know that's not ideal. 

2 hours ago, Loch said:

Quick google search suggests this has been around for many years.

https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder/issues/508

https://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369

Suggests manually editing the config (up to 1000) and then restarting. Don't know if this will help you or not.

Thanks for the info Loch! It's funny, I must have already done this back when I set up this container as my config was already edited to reflect 1000 episodes per podcast. I must have forgotten, haha. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello-

I'm afraid I'm having some trouble here.  I've installed gPodder from community applications and I'm unable to open the webUI.  Firefox simply does not connect to the webUI.

At first I manually setup the hash for my chosen password & username, as well as changed the downloads directory, and GUI size.  I was having the same problem with that setup, so I erased the docker, deleted the docker image and started fresh with the default settings.

The default settings install properly without error, and then the webUI cannot be accessed.

Anyone run into similar problems?

I am running Unraid OS Plus 6.8.3

----------------------------------

EDIT
Disregard above post! Solution found.  I had configured a storage path incorrectly, without the trailing "/"

Crisis averted.

Edited by charlescc1000
question answered
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...