[Support] xthursdayx - Ferdi-server [archived]

It's hard for me to tell what the issue is based on the screenshot, but I'm wondering if you set up your database correctly? I am using almost the exact same settings as you with no problem. I see in your logs that you have an sql error that says `Access denied for user \`ferdi\`@\`172.17.0.8\`. This may be a stupid question, but did you create a ferdi database and user in MariaDB? It is necessary to manually create the database, user and password, if you want to use an external database.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Yes both exist in the database (Screen shot attached)

From the log I can only see it trying to connect to the included sql database in the docker, it completely ignores the one configured in the docker settings.

image.thumb.png.4db755b13a12b3549093bb8253fdf00e.png

image.png.1dc30803bf4dcfe9983cdfc9ac351271.png

Edited by nik82

Hmmmm, I really have no idea... Unfortunately (fortunately?), I've never heard of this issue before (and the image has over 100k pulls), so it's kind of baffling. One thing is that I have ferdi-server running on a custom docker-network along with MariaDB and all of my other outward-facing containers, so they share the same LAN network IP range (172.19.0.0/24). I don't feel like not doing that should cause a problem, but something to check perhaps?

One thing to note: we're currently completely overhauling the ferdi-server Docker image, so we will be pushing a new image onto Docker Hub in the next week or so which will handle almost everything differently. That doesn't really mean anything for your current issue, but it's just something to know for future planning. 

If i remove the mysql argument and leave it blank and save it works, clicking edit on the docker after it has installed shows that sqlite has been autofilled. It again ignores my set mysql / MaraiDB setting, however the docker works and can be used. In its current state setting my own DB simply does not work and gets completely ignored. Perhaps most ppl are using the built in sqlite function?

image.thumb.png.4bf6d7a66cb44838e6f247eeb53395c5.png

Edited by nik82
3 hours ago, nik82 said:

Perhaps most ppl are using the built in sqlite function?

I think most people, including myself, use external databases such as MariaDB, so it definitely works for most people. Have you tried changing your network type from `bridge` to `br0` or another custom docker net that MariaDB is also on?

This is what the relevant part of my config looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 11.15.17 PM.png

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're currently completely overhauling Ferdi-server and combing the Docker image into the main Ferdi-server repo, while also updating much of the underlying infrastructure. As a result, the Ferdi-server docker container will likely function significantly differently in the future, so I an not able to troubleshoot any problems that are arising from the current configuration. I will however update this post as soon as we push the new Docker image and address any issues that may arise then. We'll aim to make sure that the password reset function is fixed during the process of updating the image.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Managed to get this up and working this afternoon; sqlite, ssl, reverse proxy, custom domain, smtp, all working a treat.

I had checked ferdi out, rebuffing yet another service with a bunch of my data, prior to finding your container for the backend stuff.

Love it.

Thanks for the work and keep the updates coming 

one thing I do see is that the services offered are not as plentiful as those in their github or on their 'services' page

Edited by Joshndroid
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 2:17 AM, Joshndroid said:

Managed to get this up and working this afternoon; sqlite, ssl, reverse proxy, custom domain, smtp, all working a treat.

I had checked ferdi out, rebuffing yet another service with a bunch of my data, prior to finding your container for the backend stuff.

Love it.

Thanks for the work and keep the updates coming 

one thing I do see is that the services offered are not as plentiful as those in their github or on their 'services' page

Which services are you speaking about? The ferdi-server docker image (which I developed) just runs the existing release of ferdi server, so it should be up to date with any additional work that's been done on the server (I haven't been working directly on the server repo lately, so I'm not totally up to date with the developments there).

There is not a Docker image for Ferdi itself, meaning the actual front-end UI program, since that is usually installed directly on the end user's machine. I suppose one could build a Docker image based on No-VNC or Guacamole in order to have Ferdi run on your server and be accessible via WebUI, but this isn't something I've worked on.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, xthursdayx said:

Which services are you speaking about? The ferdi-server docker image (which I developed) just runs the existing release of ferdi server, so it should be up to date with any additional work that's been done on the server (I haven't been working directly on the server repo lately, so I'm not totally up to date with the developments there).

There is not a Docker image for Ferdi itself, meaning the actual front-end UI program, since that is usually installed directly on the end user's machine. I suppose one could build a Docker image based on No-VNC or Guacamole in order to have Ferdi run on your server and be accessible via WebUI, but this isn't something I've worked on.

After some further looking it depended on the client running on the system... So once i started checking out the nightly client ferdi releases I could see more services listed (such as nextcloud calendar)

58 minutes ago, Joshndroid said:

After some further looking it depended on the client running on the system... So once i started checking out the nightly client ferdi releases I could see more services listed (such as nextcloud calendar)

Yeah, both ferdi and ferdi-server are under active development. I'm planning to begin working again on ferdi-server-docker soon, once I I finish up another project. Glad you were able to find the things you were looking for though!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, xthursdayx said:

Yeah, both ferdi and ferdi-server are under active development. I'm planning to begin working again on ferdi-server-docker soon, once I I finish up another project. Glad you were able to find the things you were looking for though!

Thanks mate, I like the concept so looking forward to your work on it further.

• 4 months later...

after i install the docker when i open webpage i see this error :

Error: key must be at least 16 characters long Error: key must be at least 16 characters long at module.exports (/app/node_modules/simple-encryptor/index.js:24:11) at new Encryption (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/framework/src/Encryption/index.js:37:22) at Object.app.singleton [as closure] (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/framework/providers/AppProvider.js:257:14) at Ioc._resolveBinding (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/fold/src/Ioc/index.js:231:68) at Ioc.make (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/fold/src/Ioc/index.js:807:19) at injections.map (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/fold/src/Ioc/index.js:318:19) at Array.map (<anonymous>) at Ioc._makeInstanceOf (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/fold/src/Ioc/index.js:317:44) at Ioc.make (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/fold/src/Ioc/index.js:799:19) at AuthManager.getScheme (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/auth/src/Auth/Manager.js:86:16) at Auth.authenticator (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/auth/src/Auth/index.js:118:40) at new Auth (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/auth/src/Auth/index.js:68:39) at Context.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/auth/providers/AuthProvider.js:151:14) at Context.wrappedCallback [as auth] (/app/node_modules/macroable/index.js:132:61) at Server._handleException (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/framework/src/Server/index.js:253:63) at _executeServerMiddleware.then.then.catch (/app/node_modules/@adonisjs/framework/src/Server/index.js:441:14)

the key FERDI_APP_KEY.txt is 20 word and the password for user database is 16 word

The new version of the Ferdi-server docker image has been pushed to Docker Hub.

Existing users, please note: The latest updates to Ferdi-server and the Ferdi-server Docker image introduce changes to the default SQLite database name and location, as well as the internal container port. The new container port is 3333. If you would like to keep your existing SQLite database, you will need to add the DATA_DIR variable and change it to /app/database, to match your existing data volume. You will also need to change the DB_DATABASE variable to development to match your existing database. Please see the parameters in the Migration section below.

Migrating from an existing Ferdi-server:

If you are an existing Ferdi-server user using the built-in `SQlite` database, you should include the following variables:

| -p 3333:3333 | existing Ferdi-server users will need to update their container port mappings from 80:3333 to `3333:3333` |
| -e DB_PASSWORD=development | existing Ferdi-server users who use the built-in sqlite database should use the database name development |
| -e DATA_DIR=/app/database | existing Ferdi-server users who use the built-in sqlite database should add this environmental variable to ensure data persistence |
| -v <path to data on host>=/app/databases | existing Ferdi-server users who use the built-in sqlite database should use the volume name /app/database |

If you are an existing Ferdi-server user who uses an external database or different variables for the built-in `SQlite` database, you should update your parameters accordingly. For example, if you are using an external MariaDB or MySql  database your unique parameters might look like this:

| -e DB_CONNECTION=mysql | for specifying the database being used |
| -e DB_HOST=192.168.10.1 | for specifying the database host machine IP |
| -e DB_PORT=3306 | for specifying the database port |
| -e DB_USER=ferdi | for specifying the database user |
| -e DB_PASSWORD=ferdipw | for specifying the database password |
| -e DB_DATABASE=adonis | for specifying the database to be used |
| -v <path to database>:/app/database | this will strore Ferdi-server's database on the docker host for persistence |
| -v <path to recipes>:/app/recipes | this will strore Ferdi-server's recipes on the docker host for persistence |

**In either case, please be sure to pass the correct variables to the new Ferdi-server container in order maintain access to your existing database.**

For more information please check out the Docker README.md on Github: https://github.com/getferdi/server/tree/master/docker

Edited by xthursdayx

@Ryonez @musicking and @stefan marton since the updated and rebased container was just pushed to Docker Hub, please try running Ferdi-server with the updated parameters described on Page 1 of this thread. The new Ferdi-server Unraid template with updated defaults should be parsed and available in Community Apps soon.

If you are migrating an existing Ferdi-server container please see the migration instructions above. However, to be honest, I've found it smoother to just roll a new container from scratch after this update. 

Please let me know if the new container fixes the issues you're having, or if you're still having problems. Cheers!

• Like 1

The Ferdi-server container parameters and Community Apps template have been updated. Please replace the ENV variable EXTERNAL_DOMAIN with APP_URL. APP_URL can be used to specify either a local http URL if your Ferdi-server is not available externally (e.g. http://192.168.2.1:3333) or an external URL (e.g. https://ferdi.my.domain). 

• 6 months later...

So I've been connecting to the default ferdi server not realizing that it was going down.  Just installed the Ferdi server to my Unraid.  Since the actual ferdi server is down, is there a way I can create a new account with my own ferdi server?  I don't get an option when I go to the local ip or the URL I forwarded.   Am I missing something?  I do have 'IS_CREATION_ENABLED' set to true.image.png.e6abac0cd9a30f435b5249d1943069ce.png

image.thumb.png.41968f9f34fc2ba32a79db79bd0565ec.png

• 1 month later...
  • xthursdayx changed the title to [Support] xthursdayx - Ferdi-server [archived]