New Build - compatibility etc

vobed

Hello, I want to build a server in the nearish future, is the hardware listed below fully compatible with unRAID? I want to run multiple VMs, Plex, dockers, store files etc. I build it based what was available in my area.

Case: Cooler Master Trooper SE (SGC-5000-KWN2) (for that 9x 5,25 slots)

Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi

HDD cases: 3x Chieftec CBP-3141SAS (at start most likely 2 cases)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600

RAM: 2x Crucial RDIMM DDR4,16GB, 2666MHz, CL19, ECC (CT16G4RFD4266) (at start 1 module)

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

PSU: Corsair HX850 (CP-9020138-EU) or be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750/850W

GPU: 1060 6 GB, already have it

Sata controller: Delock 89395 - will it work?

*no additional fans

The plan is to have (at the end):

raid pool - 2 disk redudancy,  8x4TB [having 4 wd reds already, would be buying 2 more at first) - connected to CBP-3141SAS -> motherboard's sata

1-4 hdds, connected to sata controller, serving as backup, comes at later time, at start probably 1x ironwolf of 10 tb.

1 nvme 250 gb - for VMs etc

1 or 2 ssd 250/500gb for cache (or something else, not in raid) - connected to asmedia controller on motherbord

Does it make any sense? Would it work well together? What I think will be probably replaces is sata controller, other ones I found that could work are 2x of its price and since I will not be using all slots instantly, I guess I could drop it for now and use discs in normal sata ports - would then changing its ports (from MOBOs ports to controllers) ruin something? Those discs would not be in raid.

Thanks for any advices!

Edited by vobed

Case: That case actually doesn’t have 9 x 5.25” slots. The Regular Trooper did but the SE version is completely different on the inside. If you want to go that route of having a tower, the Antec Nine Hundred is about the only one currently available out there that you could use. There are tons of other models from other manufacturers that you could use but they’ll all be in a Used condition and you’ll have to luck upon one on eBay or Craigslist. If you’re cool with a possible rack mount setup, the Rosewill RSV-L4500, RSV-R4000, or RSV-L4000 would all be good options where you could take out their included cages and replace them with the Chieftec ones.

Motherboard: If you’re going Ryzen, get at least a X470 motherboard. The X470 will give you more leeway in upgrading in the future and is a better chipset than the X370.

Ram: Ryzen processors and motherboards don’t take RDIMM’s, only UDIMM’s. The Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME and /8ME are good options that also have higher speeds which will be important since you’ll be going with a Zen+ CPU.

Controller: Go with a LSI (or LSI flashed alternative) or Adaptec HBA. LSI cards are really preferred though. They are cheap, easy to flash or find flashed, work well, and have essentially no issues with UnRAID since forever. 

Power Supply: You won’t need a PSU that big. A 650W one would be plenty.

Edited by ramblinreck47
3 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Case: That case actually doesn’t have 9 x 5.25” slots. The Regular Trooper did but the SE version is completely different on the inside. If you want to go that route of having a tower, the Antec Nine Hundred is about the only one currently available out there that you could use. There are tons of other models from other manufacturers that you could use but they’ll all be in a Used condition and you’ll have to luck upon one on eBay or Craigslist. If you’re cool with a possible rack mount setup, the Rosewill RSV-L4500, RSV-R4000, or RSV-L4000 would all be good options where you could take out their included cages and replace them with the Chieftec ones.

Motherboard: If you’re going Ryzen, get at least a X470 motherboard. The X470 will give you more leeway in upgrading in the future and is a better chipset than the X370.

Ram: Ryzen processors and motherboards don’t take RDIMM’s, only UDIMM’s. The Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME and /8ME are good options that also have higher speeds which will be important since you’ll be going with a Zen+ CPU.

Controller: Go with a LSI (or LSI flashed alternative) or Adaptec HBA. LSI cards are really preferred though. They are cheap, easy to flash or find flashed, work well, and have essentially no issues with UnRAID since forever. 

That's shame with the case, actually I am owning the regular version of the case and though that special edition would look similar on the inside, I'd probably could just do the swap - hopefully standard version will be released or another one will come in near future as I am not really interested in swapping all the parts inside my current case :)

With X470 I'd would just get Taichi, it's similary priced here, I though going for more standard sata ports would be better idea.

RAM- thanks for the heads up.

Controller - I'd need to look for that though Amazon or something, as there is no cards with enough ports from those two in my location from what I see. Exact model recommendations would be helpful if that's not a problem for you. If I would go with X470 Taichi I would need 6 ports.

Power Supply - thanks, just went for higher cert and being modular in my shop and the lowest they had was BQ 750W.

Thanks for all the info!

11 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

I though about it more, and since there would be some difficulties for me to move stuff, what would you think about this:

Basically, I would get myself SGC-5000-KWN2/x470/2700x for my normal work pc and then recycle my current parts - which would still leave X370 for the unRAID setup.

So, the End Resulf for NAS would be:

AMD Ryzen 1800X
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
AsRock X370 Taichi
1060 GTX 6GB

SGC-5000-KWN1

Samsung nvme 250 gb for vms.

I would also leave 4x Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM with fan controller.

What would be bought:

2x Chieftec CBP-3141SAS

1x Chieftec CBP-2131SAS

be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W

Samsung DDR4, 16GB, 2666MHz, CL19, ECC - M391A2K43BB1-CTD

X470/2700X, new case with cooler, I would just get for my new pc, using psu/ram from old pc.

Cost is not even higher and seems like I would be getting more out of it even if I consider new nvme, fans etc for new pc. I would probably consider dropping controller card and CBP-2131SAS for now.

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, vobed said:

I though about it more, and since there would be some difficulties for me to move stuff, what would you think about this:

Basically, I would get myself SGC-5000-KWN2/x470/2700x for my normal work pc and then recycle my current parts - which would still leave X370 for the unRAID setup.

So, the End Resulf for NAS would be:

AMD Ryzen 1800X
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
AsRock X370 Taichi
1060 GTX 6GB

SGC-5000-KWN1

Samsung nvme 250 gb for vms.

I would also leave 4x Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM with fan controller.

What would be bought:

2x Chieftec CBP-3141SAS

1x Chieftec CBP-2131SAS

be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W

Samsung DDR4, 16GB, 2666MHz, CL19, ECC - M391A2K43BB1-CTD

X470/2700X, new case with cooler, I would just get for my new pc, using psu/ram from old pc.

Cost is not even higher and seems like I would be getting more out of it even if I consider new nvme, fans etc for new pc. I would probably consider dropping controller card and CBP-2131SAS for now.

What do you think?

From a functional standpoint, it looks fine. Just be aware that with a Ryzen 1st Gen will most likely need some adjustments so it doesn't cause freezes and crashes.

22 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

From a functional standpoint, it looks fine. Just be aware that with a Ryzen 1st Gen will most likely need some adjustments so it doesn't cause freezes and crashes.

Care to explain more? What could be causing crashes/freezes, or what I would need to change, as I am using it just fine in my pc, the segfault i would need to retest as when I tested it when bought, it seemed fine, then tested again and the script was showing segfaults, then after some bios patches stopped showing it again. For sure it's pre 30 week cpu.

14 hours ago, Squid said:

1st gen ryzen needs to have c states disabled in the bios as they have severe issues with crashes when it idles. As background, AMD tried to blame the power supply manufacturers for this

Sent from my NSA monitored device

Thank you and everyone else form help. And if that's all then it seems to be okay for me, I think I even have this option already disabled on current machine.