Need advice upgrading to Unraid

Index

I'm considering upgrading my current Ubuntu server to Unraid, but I'm a bit unsure about my current hardware.

The server is used for general storage and Plex. I'm thinking about expanding on it and having a personal cloud solution like NextCloud.

Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X470 ITX Gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x (not overclocked)

CPU Fan: The Wraith fan that came with the CPU

RAM: 1x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury

PSU: Corsair RM650x

HDDs: 2x 8TB Seagate IronWolf

SSD: 120GB Corsair Force 3 (2012 model)

I would like to add more storage to my server, but the motherboard only has 4 SATA ports.
I'm thinking about either swapping out the SSD and add 2 more 8TB HDD drives or using an external HDD enclosure.

I'm a bit worried about expandability and not having a cache drive (I know very little about Unraid in practice, only read up on it).

I could possibly get a large inexpensive case, but I'm unsure about the ITX motherboard.
If I were to swap out the motherboard as well, then it feels like a bit of a waste, however I could always try to sell it.

My friend has recommended that I just get a Synology or QNAP device, but I already have this existing hardware, seems like a waste.

I live in Iceland where everything is really expensive. The vast majority of everything is about 2x as expensive as in the US, that's why I'm a bit concerned with cost.

I have an ITX system and so do many others. Just depends on how many disks you expect to have. And with the very large disks available today you may not need many. How many will the case hold? Looks like the mobo has an expansion slot, could you use it for a controller or do you need it for video?

I don't recommend an external enclosure, it is likely to be a source of problems.

That SSD would be fine as cache if you only use it for dockers and VMs and don't plan to cache any user shares.