cannot see drives

10 minutes ago, Nelson said:

.. maybe it is the drive s? I pulled the gold 10 tb drive and connected directly to mobo. and its not showing up either? which is weird right? since it should be a new drive. could something in the bios be affecting these things?

Do you have another pc you can test them on? Maby something going on with the psu possibly.

2 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

Do you have another pc you can test them on? Maby something going on with the psu possibly.

I plugged in a drive that is in use at the moment, so 99 percent certain it worth since there about 3 tb of files on there. and it showed up perfectly fine. Do i need need to use a drive that has a partition on there or something? i tried it with the gold and red with a new cable on power and sata and it didnt show up nor did a red.

Edited by Nelson
40 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I pulled the gold 10 tb drive and connected directly to mobo. and its not showing up either? which is weird right? since it should be a new drive. could something in the bios be affecting these things?

Some WD disk must not apply 3.3v to the disk, it will make it in disable state. So pls check SATA power have 3.3v ( Orange wire ) or you could use a molex to SATA power converter to power up the drive ( then no 3.3v )

Edited by Benson
16 minutes ago, Benson said:

Some WD drive must not apply 3.3v to the disk, it will in disable state. So pls check SATA power have 3.3v ( Orange wire ) or you could use a molex to SATA power converter to power up the drive ( then no 3.3v )

I heard using some kapton tape to coevr the 3rd pin would trick it or something? would that actually work?

when you say cut the wire, you mean on the cable? how do i know which one it is?

Yes, the cable at SATA power plug. The 3.3v wire just next to the "L" coner. ( If there are several SATA plug in a wire chain, you should try the plug which in cable far end and then well insulate it to avoid short circuit )

https://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml

Edited by Benson
6 minutes ago, Benson said:

The wire just next to the "L" coner

https://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml

might be a bit hard for me to get to the intenral cable, a lot of my cables come sleeved, and after that, they seem to only have a couple wire coming out, so im assuming each of those wires actually carry a few more smaller wires inside. I think i might have to go with the tape on this. though out of curiousity, this wont damage the drive will it?

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

might be a bit hard for me to get to the intenral cable, a lot of my cables come sleeved, and after that, they seem to only have a couple wire coming out, so im assuming each of those wires actually carry a few more smaller wires inside. I think i might have to go with the tape on this. though out of curiousity, this wont damage the drive will it?

Won't, but must a thinner tape.

How many wire you found at the SATA plug, 4 ( no 3.3 ) or 5 ( have 3.3 )

Edited by Benson

Update. I fear it may very well be the drives itself thats damaged. Im pretty sure the cables and the hba card and everything else should be fine. for some reason, my drives all seem to have suddenly died? o.O I'll have to do re-tests on all of them, but i think i'm just gonna have to get new drives. If so, should I go with seagate or wd?

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

my drives all seem to have suddenly died?

Any fault happen during server building, i.e. use wrong power cable to connect disks to PSU. Most case, only power issue could cause massive disk dead.

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

should I go with seagate or wd?

For me, 10 were WD USB shuck disk.

1 hour ago, Benson said:

Any fault happen during server building, i.e. use wrong power cable to connect disks to PSU. Most case, only power issue could cause massive disk dead.

For me, 10 were WD USB shuck disk.

What sort of power failure are we thinking here? Shpuld i replace the cables or something?

14 minutes ago, Nelson said:

What sort of power failure are we thinking here? Shpuld i replace the cables or something?

He's talking about a mistake hooking up the power, switching the 12V and 5V leads so the drives are fried.

Have you checked to make sure the drives are recognized in another machine? I'm not talking about reading the data, just checking to be sure they show up as hard drives.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

He's talking about a mistake hooking up the power, switching the 12V and 5V leads so the drives are fried.

Have you checked to make sure the drives are recognized in another machine? I'm not talking about reading the data, just checking to be sure they show up as hard drives.

Ive checked a couple quickly. But im gonna go through all of them with an external dock tonite to be sure. If the 12v and the 5 volt leads are reversed, wouldnt they fry every drive?actually, how would i even know if they are reversed in the first place? Im not making these cablea myself, they came with the evga g3 psu

8 hours ago, Nelson said:

I fear it may very well be the drives itself thats damaged. my drives all seem to have suddenly died?

That was what Benson was addressing. All drives damaged at once implies the power leads were reversed, and yes that would permanently kill the drive circuit boards. If the drives work in another system, then that's not the issue.

Im not making these cablea myself, they came with the evga g3 psu

Couple different scenarios are fairly common.

1. Modular leads from a different power supply are used, there is no standard so it's possible that what physically fits is electrically wrong.

2. User jams 4 pin power in backwards, the keyed connectors aren't rigid enough to prevent forceful wrong insertion.

Since you say the drives are working in another system, that's not likely the issue here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 7:14 AM, jonathanm said:

That was what Benson was addressing. All drives damaged at once implies the power leads were reversed, and yes that would permanently kill the drive circuit boards. If the drives work in another system, then that's not the issue.

Couple different scenarios are fairly common.

1. Modular leads from a different power supply are used, there is no standard so it's possible that what physically fits is electrically wrong.

2. User jams 4 pin power in backwards, the keyed connectors aren't rigid enough to prevent forceful wrong insertion.

Since you say the drives are working in another system, that's not likely the issue here.

alright got a new drive. and an external dock ready.

i plug the drive into the dock just to make sure. it runs pretty well. i can make a new volume, didnt actually write anythign to it though, but i can at least see the drive. on the unraid pc though, im getting nothing. nada. I pretty sure its not the card, i dont think its the cables, it can run a 500 gb toshiba 2.5 drive fine. but its like when it comes to the bigger drives, im running into a wall.  do i need idk a newer cable for this? maybe the power cable is built with an older standard? im kinda lost now.

I'm getting a bad feeling that its my psu somehow short circuiting my drives. does evga g3 just run bad with 3.5 inch drives or something?

Edited by Nelson
3 hours ago, Nelson said:

I'm getting a bad feeling that its my psu somehow short circuiting my drives. does evga g3 just run bad with 3.5 inch drives or something?

No, g3 was a good PSU

On 10/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, Nelson said:

If the 12v and the 5 volt leads are reversed, wouldnt they fry every drive?

Yes, be careful

alright. im using a samsung ssd for cache and a seagate barracuda for storage. as far as I can tell it shows up and seems to work. Ill try to get some replacement circuit boards for the wd drives from before. and try to fix them up before putting them back into the system.

I've replaced all the relevant cables, so all sata data and power cables seem to be working right now. Likely I was doing something wrong before.

Thanks for all your help everyone!