USB Drive recommandation & Replacement of parity disk

dasbene

hi everyone,
i finally got my 3900x to upgrade my computer and can use the old hardware for my new NAS.

1. So i am not sure about what USB drive to purchase. The are some topics here regarding the problem of broken usb drives and transferring the license and i dont want to take necessary risk. So do you have any recommendations? (btw. i am located in germany and would probably buy at amazon.de)
  2. Currently i do have 2x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf, 2x4TB Seagate Compute, 1x3TB WD Red and plan to use one of the 8TB as the parity disk. So later when i am adding drives larger than 8TB e.g. 12TB drives i can "swap out" the parity disk for a 12TB one and use the 8TB one as additonal Storage. Is this assumtion correct?

Greetings

dasbene

Kingston Data Traveler 2 is one of the recommended USB Drives,

https://www.amazon.de/Kingston-DTSE9H-16GB-DataTraveler-Speicherstick/dp/B006YBARCA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kingston+datatraveler+2&qid=1569736735&sr=8-2

https://wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility#USB_Flash_Drives

I have 3x SanDisk myself, Ultra Flair 32Gb, I like them as they are not a short stick, better for less heat issues.

12 hours ago, dasbene said:

Currently i do have 2x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf, 2x4TB Seagate Compute, 1x3TB WD Red and plan to use one of the 8TB as the parity disk. So later when i am adding drives larger than 8TB e.g. 12TB drives i can "swap out" the parity disk for a 12TB one and use the 8TB one as additonal Storage. Is this assumtion correct?

Yes - this is no problem at all.