Want unraid to be able to easily access zfs or raid on top of its own array

givmedew

I already own unraid but I've never deployed it.  I own a 16 bay QNAP that I'm finally decommissioning.  I have 20 or so 2TB SAS drives that I really don't want unraid to manage.  I'd like to set them up in a couple ZFS pools and then I want unraids system to do it's thing with all the random non SAS drives I have.

So I want unraid to have as much of a direct connection to that storage as possible.  I don't know all the technical details but I know that with my QNAP one option was a specific type of configuration that I could have had windows connect directly too and then nothing else would have been able to connect to it except by going through windows.  Maybe it was iSCSI I'm not really sure.

Id like to know if something like that could be set up for unraid.  I just want unraid to have access to the data and I don't want anything else to have access except for going through unraid to get to it.  So if the unraid computer is off even if whatever controls those 2TB drives is still running nothing will see those drives on the network.

Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say.

Thanks 

PS for the unraid setup itself I plan to use 3 or more 15k SAS drives for cache (I have 20) and then a 6TB parity and a random allotment of 5 or so 4tb and 5tb commodity drives.