[SOLVED] Boot stuck on "smp configuration"

I just swapped out my old ASUS KCMA-D8 motherboard that had a bad second CPU socket for one with a working second CPU socket.  Everything is fine in the BIOS, and settings are the same.  It stops booting at smp configuration.  Anyone have any suggestions on things to check?  I'm going to start a memtest run shortly.

Edited by shaunmccloud
17 minutes ago, Squid said:
  • If you're running ECC memory, then memtest is pointless as it will correct any issues, resulting in no memory errors found
  • If your booting the flash drive via UEFI, then memtest won't work as it needs to be booted via non-UEFI / legacy

I am running ECC ram, but not UEFI (to old for that).  Latest boot showed an error on CPU 2 then rebooted right away.  That is why Memtest rebooted right away, I did a SMP test.  Screenshot of the panic is attached.

panic.PNG

Edited by shaunmccloud
They are the same model & stepping.  I'm thinking the board is just fubar.  I've actually requested a refund on it and I'll go back to the board I know works but has a bad second socket.

Gotcha. I misread that.
Sounds legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 minutes ago, TQ said:

Gotcha. I misread that.
Sounds legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem.  I don't really need the second CPU, it does everything I want with one.  Just need to get a NVidia card so I can do hardware transcoding in Plex.

It appears it was the CPU in socket 1 that was bad, not the CPU in socket 2.

Nevermind, its socket 1.  Board is toast.  I'll swap it back later today.

Edited by shaunmccloud
No problem.  I don't really need the second CPU, it does everything I want with one.  Just need to get a NVidia card so I can do hardware transcoding in Plex.

It appears it was the CPU in socket 1 that was bad, not the CPU in socket 2.

Nevermind, its socket 1.  Board is toast.  I'll swap it back later today.

Progress!

Sent from a small phone with phat phingers