Divide passed through m2 SSD between VMs

datosh

Hey all,

I just upgraded my system to take advantage of this awesome software that is UNRAID!

(Among other things) I'm using it to create two gaming Windows 10 VMs.

In order to get maximum performance I planned to pass through all the necessary components. Everything works fine for passing through the graphics card, USB devices, and so on.

For storage:

I have one m2.SSD which I passed through using Primary vDisk Location: Manual, and specifying the disk using /dev/disk/by-id/<id>, and Primary vDisk Bus: SATA.

Using the Windows installer I created a partition using 1/2 of the total storage. Everything working great so far. Speed is insane!

When I try to do the same thing for the second VM I get the following error when starting the VM:

internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2019-09-29T21:52:29.279994Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-hd,bus=sata0.2,drive=drive-sata0-0-2,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on: Failed to get "write" lock
Is another process using the image [/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_500GB_S4EVNF0M628518A]?

I guess this makes that I cannot pass the same device when using the SATA bus directly, and the first VM having a lock on the device as long as its running.

Is there anything I could do to maximize speed?

I do have a second SSD (non-m2) which I could use and pass directly to the second VM. So not the biggest of deal if what I'm trying here does not work after all.

Cheers,

DaTosh