2 Questions (Parity and Standby)

Question #1

My unraid is a hodgpodge of drives in an old machine. I've got an external USB device that holds 7 old hard drives of various sizes. There's room for an 8th drive. My thought is that I would like to maximize storage among the old 7 drives, and then install a larger 8th drive in case one of the other 7 fails. Is this a possibility with Unraid?

Question #2

How do I enable Unraid to go into a standby state and power up fully when accessed by the network? It'll be used daily, but only about one hour out of the day. 

Edited by noahbershatsky
Incomplete before (I'm a noob).

Parity must be at least as large as the largest single data disk, but it doesn't have to be larger than any of the other disks. Your question makes me wonder if you think parity is somehow a backup of all the other disks. It isn't, it doesn't contain any of your data. It just allows a missing disk to be reconstructed from parity PLUS ALL remaining disks.

Also, USB is not recommended for disks in the parity array or cache pool due to unreliable connections with many implementations.