Advice on all-flash server

I'm new to UnRAID and planning to build my first server. Workload will be combination of NAS and backup for ~10 systems, plus ~10-15 VMs and/or containers running various mostly business oriented applications. I've read in the manual that support for SSDs is experimental, and not quite sure what it actually means. I said goodbuy to rotating drivers quite a few years back, and not keen to come back to them. Plus I don't have any budget to buy them, or anything for that matter, I have to use what I have currently available and not in use. And it so happens that I have 33TB of SSDs, 20 GB is nvme, the rest is SATA. I also have Intel 9980XE and 128GB of RAM.

My quations are:

- what does experimental support for SSDs mean?

- Will I be OK running everying on flash storage?

- Are my CPU and RAM enough for 15 VMs/Containers. To clarify, this will be server type VMs, no desktops, non GUIs, no hardware paththrought. OS on all of them will be Linux.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! It's a bit surprising that there is no TRIM for disks in data pool. But from your description it appears that I can have all my storage in cache pool with appropriate raid configuration of that pool. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...