First Server! Setup, Do's, and Don'ts?

MarshallU

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are building our first server!

Here are the parts:

Motherboard:  ASUS ROG Strix X470-F

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 2700X

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1660Ti XC Ultra

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster ML240L AIO

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

Storage: 1x 512 Gb Intel NVME M.2 SSD, 2x 500 Gb Samsung 680 Evo SSD, 4x 4 Tb Seagate IronWolf NAS hard drives

Power supply: 1000W EVGA G+

Planning on using as a NAS (for our side gig laser cutting/engraving business), Plex Media Server, and Windows VM for light workloads or gaming if we have a friend over (we already have another dedicated gaming PC).

My dad suggested VMWare when we first told him we were setting up a server (he's an IT professional and uses VMWare for his home server) but to our eyes it looked like VMWare has somewhat limited hardware compatibility.

I found Unraid from the Linus Tech Tips videos about it and am giving it a shot! It seems to be a very flexible and user friendly platform, so for a first timer, this will be a huge plus.

Wanted some feedback from you all! Do you have any useful tips for getting set up for a first timer? What are some of your must-have or favorite applications (I think they're called dockers here?) and other cool stuff you do on your Unraid machines.

Thanks everyone in advance and I'm looking forward to joining what looks like an awesome community!

• Like 1

Hey Trurl,

I've never had an M.2 drive and always wanted one, and got a good deal on the Intel 660p NVME so I threw it in there.

I'll have three SSDs for cache (total ~1.5 TB), but I'm assuming I will get read/write speeds of the slower drives?

That doesn't really bother me though.

Are there other possible uses that could take advantage of the NVME speed?

4 hours ago, MarshallU said:

I'll have three SSDs for cache (total ~1.5 TB)

Depends on how you configure the pool. The default is btrfs raid1 which will give you redundancy but not the total capacity of all 3. I recommend the redundancy. You could also use the NVME as an Unassigned Device.