• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

Is there any way to stop Transmission from filling up my syslog? Every 2 minutes it writes the following 2 lines into my syslog file

Apr 21 09:46:38 Tower transmission-daemon[23699]: Saved "/mnt/cache/_transmission/resume/Midsomer Murders s14e03 - Echoes of the Dead.mkv.b2cfa97708d8ca01.resume" (bencode.c:1651)
Apr 21 09:46:38 Tower transmission-daemon[23699]: Saved "/mnt/cache/_transmission/stats.json" (bencode.c:1651)

Everything appears to be working fine so there's no real problem it's just a bit of pain to have to go through thousands of lines of this stuff when reading my logs.

I've set the verbosity setting for Transmission to 1 but these lines continue to appear.

Any ideas on how to stop it?

Thanks

MindGuerrillas,

Make sure you stop the Transmission service in theuser scripts section of unmenu.  Then in the packahe manager change the "message-level:" variable in the transmission package to "1" for error only or "0" for no messgae.  Save the configuration, re-install with new variables and you are all set.

Kryspy

I've set the verbosity setting for Transmission to 1 but these lines continue to appear.

Any ideas on how to stop it?

Yes, set it to 0

Transmission, even on level 1 for logging, is chatty.  Setting it to 0 is the only way to stop it completely.

Thanks. I've given this a go now and it's still doing it. I've looked in all the settings files and the setting has definitely been changed but it seems to be ignoring it. I've rebooted the server too to see if that would clear it but no luck.

Which unMenu package are you using?  The one that is included by default in the package manager? or the one I have attached to the first post in this thread?

I'm just using the one included by default. Do you think it's worth me upgrading to your new version?

Yes, asap as it has some fixes for a problem that was found in the package that was included with the last release.

Yes, asap as it has some fixes for a problem that was found in the package that was included with the last release.

I've done as you suggested and installed the new version. This seems to have fixed the excessive logging issue I had.

Thank you!

Glad to hear that fixed the issue.  Just be aware that if you do an unMenu check and install updates that file WILL be overwritten with the one that unMenu knows about and your settings will disappear possibly.

Just be aware that if you do an unMenu check and install updates that file WILL be overwritten with the one that unMenu knows about and your settings will disappear possibly.

So we're waiting on Joe to get the latest update added to unMenu?

The newest version is attached to the first post in this thread, though you are correct that we are waiting for JoeL. to get it added to the official unMenu repository.  He also has a DS_Store package update from me that needs to be put into the official repo.

The newest version is attached to the first post in this thread, though you are correct that we are waiting for JoeL. to get it added to the official unMenu repository.  He also has a DS_Store package update from me that needs to be put into the official repo.

Cool. 

Not being able to use unMenu updates for fear of overwriting something that works with something that doesn't isn't good (to me). 

I know there's a manual method to 'protect' any given package from updates, but again that's a less than ideal mechanism.

Cool. 

Not being able to use unMenu updates for fear of overwriting something that works with something that doesn't isn't good (to me). 

I know there's a manual method to 'protect' any given package from updates, but again that's a less than ideal mechanism.

I'll try to get to it this weekend.    Even if you make changes, the update process saves your old version..  You could put it back easily.

I just started a new job last month, and up until this past weekend was involved in hosting a Black-Tie Ball/formal dinner-dance in the grand ballroom at the local convention center.  (about as much work as hosting a wedding... but all the men wear tuxedos, and there is no trip the the Bahamas for a honeymoon afterwards.)

Between the Black-Tie Ball, and the new job, I've had little free time.    As I said, I'll try to catch up this weekend.

Joe L.

Hi There,

I copied the new .conf file in the initial post to my /flash/packages directory overwriting the original version I installed through unMenu.  Then I ran the commands in the first post:

Code:

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl kill

find /boot/custom/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

find /boot/packages/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

When trying to restart transmission, I'm getting the following error:

root@unraid:/boot/custom# /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission start

/etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission: line 3: /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory

I guess I've muffed something up- any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry to have to follow up (seriously, I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing but I'm not a regular tinkerer with my unraid setup) but how do I reinstall it through unMenu?  When I go to the package manager, it lets me Select the Transmission, and disable/enable the Re-Install Upon Boot, but because it's "Already installed" there's no option to re-install.

Sorry to have to follow up (seriously, I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing but I'm not a regular tinkerer with my unraid setup) but how do I reinstall it through unMenu?  When I go to the package manager, it lets me Select the Transmission, and disable/enable the Re-Install Upon Boot, but because it's "Already installed" there's no option to re-install.

Yeah, sorry about that that was my mistake.  It is still doing the check and finding it installed.

Anyway, you will need to run:

rm /usr/bin/transmission-daemon

and then reinstall the package from the unMenu package manager.  I updated the first post to reflect the changes.

ALSO, you will need to reset all the variables you had from the previous install.  Over writing the .conf file defaults all the variables back to there original state.