Transmission unMenu package

WARNING:

IF YOU ARE ON 4.7 DO NOT INSTALL TRANSMISSION ON YOUR MACHINE! IT WILL BREAK OTHER LIBRARIES USED BY OTHER APPLICATIONS AND POSSIBLE UNRAID ITSELF

For anyone wanting an easy to install and configure package for torrenting you can find it via the attached .conf files.

Please download the .conf files, place them in the packages folder and from there you can configure the variables to your hearts content.

I have taken bubbaQ's transctl script (thanks bubbaQ) but other than that file most of this package is a re-write.

The version of Transmission that is installed is 2.42.

If you DO NOT have a cache drive then PLEASE change the install location to something different

If you have any questions feel free to use this thread for discussion.  I will try and answer any question that come up.

If you have problems I would like to see the output of the below:

ls -al /var/run/transmission
cat /var/run/transmission/transmission-daemon.pid
ls -al INSTALL_LOCATION_OF_TRANSMISSION
ps -ef | grep trans
cat PACKAGE_DIRECTORY/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.auto_install > /boot/transmission_autoinstall.txt
ls -al PACKAGE_DIRECTORY > /boot/package_directory.txt

You will need to download the transmission-unmenu-package.conf and the libevent package from this thread and then grab the curl, libidn, and openldap from the pyLoad thread here.

NOTE: You will need to uninstall ALL old versions before updating.  You will need to delete

1.  The "transmission" folder in the "custom" folder on the flash drive

2.  All .autiinstall, .manualinstall, .conf, .bak, .tgz/.tgx file related to transmission in the "packages" folder

EDIT: 11-10-2010

I have found an issue with the install package so please do not use it for now.  I have a request out to JoeL for assistance and will update this thread when we have a solution.

EDIT: 11-13-2010

JoeL has attached a working version to a post below.  Please download and test that version.

EDIT: 11-17-2010

Attached to this post is the most recent version of the package.  I added the watch directory items requested by one of the users below.

EDIT: 11-20-2010

Just wanted to give an update to everyone that Joe L. and I are working on an updated package.  Give us a little while and I will replace the one attached to this post with that one (or Joe L will add it to the main unMenu distribution).

EDIT: 12-4-2010

Another update: with the new update to unMenu, MyMain, and the syslog viewer came the update to the transmission package.  I checked it out very quickly but did not get a chance to test it out. Along with this update came the addition of the "watched" folder and related settings in the config file.

EDIT: 12-6-2010

The update on 12-4-2010 accidentally changed a few pieces that made the package variables persist and get set up correctly.  Please update, via unMenu, to the latest version

EDIT:3-17-2011

The update has gone out and does work... with one caveat... You will need to delete all previous installs of the Transmission package.  I hope to fix this, but an occupied with other things right now. To delete all remnants of the previous install (which will cause you to lose the "resume" folder that you currently have) type the below three commands once you are telneted into the server.

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl kill

find /boot/custom/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

find /boot/packages/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

rm /usr/bin/transmission-daemon

rm /usr/bin/transmissioncli

EDIT:3-28-2011

There is an updated package attached to this post for now.  When people have used it for a little while and if nothing major is found I will have JoeL include it for mass distribution within unMenu.  The above commands can be used again to update to this version, a clean slate would probably be best to work from. After you move the new .conf file into place you will have to reinstall Transmission.

EDIT:5-20-2011

I have just attached the newest version of the .conf file.  Please download this one attached here and report your findings.

EDIT:9-23-2011I have removed the package attached here as I am in the closing stages of releasing a new one.  I will update this thread when that time has come.

EDIT:9-25-2011

Attached are the new files needed for the newest release of the transmission package.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY

I have attached the first major overhall of the transmission package.  This is a significant update to the unMenu conf and the transmission version in itself.

NOTE: With so many changes all around I CAN NOT guarantee what will happen if you try to install this over the top of the old package.  Transmission itself changed quite a few of the settings.json stuff so some config values no longer exist to even use.

1. The whole package no longer uses bubbaQ's transmission package. 

2. I have borrowed the transctl script he was using and modified it for my use. (Thanks bubbaQ)

3. Nothing is installed to the flash drive any longer

4. The package will run as nobody if running 5.0bX and root if running 4.7

5. There are a couple of packages that have to be installed and those are attached to the first post.

If you have a previous install I can't guarantee I will help out.  I know I created the previous package but SO many things have changed with the .conf and Transmission itself that "fixing" an install over a previous install is just something I don't have time for.

EDIT:9-25-2011

I have fixed the inconsistencies and everything should work on 4.7 correctly now. You will need to download the transmission-unmenu-package.conf and the libevent package from this thread and then grab the curl, libidn, openldap, and glibc from the pyLoad thread here.

EDIT:10-02-2011

Some changes to the start process to check for an already running instance of transmission.

EDIT:10-05-2011

Modifications to the start process thanks to Bagpuss for pointing out the issues.

EDIT:11-13-2011

Fixed a slight logic issue.

EDIT:11-14-2011

Fixed the fix

EDIT:11-20-2011

Fix for the quoting of the umask variable

EDIT:1-05-2012

fixed the transmission conf file to reflect the update for the glibc package.

EDIT:1-29-2012

Transmission updated to 2.42 and the package will now NOT work on 4.7.  Sorry to all the folks running 4.7 but I will no longer be supporting it as the libraries needed for the newer versions of Transmission require a newer version of Slackware then what unRAID 4.7 is built on.

EDIT:1-03-2013

Corrected a bug in the umask setting.

libevent-unmenu-package.conf

transmission-unmenu-package.conf

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I plan to continue using Utorrent on my main pc and download / upload files to my server, is there an issue doing it this way?

The tests I carried out a few weeks back worked fine.

There are no issues doing that.

Some of use prefer to use our server and a web interface to torrent.  It works better for me as I only have laptops in the house (save for the unRAID server).  So when I take a laptop with me but would like to add a torrent I can get to the web interface and do what I need to do.

Watch Folder.

Can the watch folder parameters be added to the package (unmenu screen) and saved in the transmission settings file.

"watch-dir": "/mnt/whatever_disk/whatever_derictory",

"watch-dir-enabled": true

Thank you.

P.S

The parameters are saved properly now. Thank you.

Also I am using the transmission_gui app on me windows machine to check the daemon and it is very nice.

Watch Folder.

Can the watch folder parameters be added to the package (unmenu screen) and saved in the transmission settings file.

Thank you.

P.S

Also I am using the transmission_gui app on me windows machine to check the daemon and it is very nice.

I will look into the watch directory settings.

JoeL and I are still trying to figure out the libc issue and I have an request for some help out to bubbaQ.

Watch Folder.

Thank you.

P.S

OK, the two variables need for the watch directory settings are added.  Test out the package and let me know how it works.  I have been using it for the last couple days and it seems to work fine.

Quick question. I installed Bubba's Transmission package manually. If I remove it from my go script, then install via unmenu and set the same variables. Will it keep my torrents currently active in tact? Or will I have to reload them?

Basically I want to move to the unMenu version without disrupting my already working setup. Thanks :)

Quick question. I installed Bubba's Transmission package manually. If I remove it from my go script, then install via unmenu and set the same variables. Will it keep my torrents currently active in tact? Or will I have to reload them?

Basically I want to move to the unMenu version without disrupting my already working setup. Thanks :)

Assuming you set the same configs you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Today I notice like 3000 lines in the syslog from transmission; giving various updates.  Can we change the location where this is saved as I assume that it just wrote 3000 times to the flash drive at /boot/custom/transmission?

Kryspy

The syslog is not on the boot  drive.  It is in memory?

Hi,

Today I notice like 3000 lines in the syslog from transmission; giving various updates.  Can we change the location where this is saved as I assume that it just wrote 3000 times to the flash drive at /boot/custom/transmission?

Kryspy

You can configure transmission to output only ERROR messages if you want.

The new version of the package has been created and is available via an unMenu update.

Please test it out and let me know if you find any problems.

I am having a problem.

I have been using it for a while now (previous version) but have been having problems with variables.

So I decided to reinstall (after uninstalling, rebooting and removing all configuration files).

1. I downloaded the package and conf file again (via unmenu).

2. Edited the variables (before installing).

3. First part of .conf file (PACKAGE_VARIABLE) updated according to my updated variables.

4. installed the package - settings.json (dated 12.5.2010 - new) and settings.json.default (dated 9.18.2010) were created.

5. PROBLEM - both included the default setting and not my updated settings (also they don't include the watched folder setting).

6. tried editing the settings again (which show up OK because the .conf file is fine) and reinstalling - no help.

I noticed the following lines in the .conf file:

# create the settings.json file with the settings you specified above
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ -f /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json ] && rm -f /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION mkdir -p /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION touch /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "{" >> /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "\"alt-speed-down\": "${vALT_SPEED_DOWN-50}"," >> /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "\"alt-speed-enabled\": "${vALT_SPEED_ENABLED-false}"," >> /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "\"alt-speed-time-begin\": "${vALT_SPEED_TIME_BEGIN-540}"," >> /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "\"alt-speed-time-day\": "${vALT_SPEED_TIME_DAY-127}"," >> /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json

etc...

they should create the settings.json file with my variables - doesn't seem to work - or is overwritten later by something else -see below for my assumption.

in addition there are these line in the .conf file:

# put the locally configured package variables into place.
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   cp /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json

where/when is setting.local created? doesn't this overwrite the previously created settings.json file?

Maybe you made a mistake and the PACKAGE_INSTALLATION lines should have output the variables to the settings.local file and not the settings.json file?

Where does the settings.json.default file come from? does it play a role anywhere here?

If all this is nonsense please tell me what I am doing wrong.

remove the line from your "go" file.  You are overwriting the created file.

this is my go file:

#!/bin/bash

# Install yamj dependencies.
/boot/extra/yamj-go
# Create daily schedule cron job for YAMJ.
ln -s /boot/extra/yamj-rescan /etc/cron.daily

# Install LogMeIn Himachi 2 add-in.
installpkg /boot/extra/hamachi-2.0.0.11-i686-unRAID.tgz

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

/boot/unmenu/uu

What should I remove?

All the lines I showed in my previous post are in the .conf file downloaded using unMenu update.

I took a peek at transmission a while back... it looked great and ran well for my quick test.  The only thing that was missing from it was labeling support, has anything been updated/released to handle that functionality?  It's probably my most used feature with utorrent and rtorrent/rutorrent etc.

remove the line from your "go" file.  You are overwriting the created file.

this is my go file:

#!/bin/bash

# Install yamj dependencies.
/boot/extra/yamj-go
# Create daily schedule cron job for YAMJ.
ln -s /boot/extra/yamj-rescan /etc/cron.daily

# Install LogMeIn Himachi 2 add-in.
installpkg /boot/extra/hamachi-2.0.0.11-i686-unRAID.tgz

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

/boot/unmenu/uu

What should I remove?

All the lines I showed in my previous post are in the .conf file downloaded using unMenu update.

Sorry.  I mis-read your post.  I thought you had the "copy" line in your "go" file.  you should not change your "go" file.

It looks like the settings file stuff accidentally got changed.

Joe L had started using settings.local and then copying it over the settings.json file after the package installation was done.  It looks like the setting sare now being put in a settings.json file which is being overwritten by the installation of the transmission package.

I will look at this when I get back home and update the first post.

It looks like the settings file stuff accidentally got changed.

Joe L had started using settings.local and then copying it over the settings.json file after the package installation was done.  It looks like the setting sare now being put in a settings.json file which is being overwritten by the installation of the transmission package.

I will look at this when I get back home and update the first post.

I changed all PACKAGE_INSTALLATION to output to settings.local

and changed:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   cp /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json

to this:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   cp /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   rm /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local

it seems to work now.