Transmission unMenu package

It looks like the settings file stuff accidentally got changed.

Joe L had started using settings.local and then copying it over the settings.json file after the package installation was done.  It looks like the setting sare now being put in a settings.json file which is being overwritten by the installation of the transmission package.

I will look at this when I get back home and update the first post.

I changed all PACKAGE_INSTALLATION to output to settings.local

and changed:

# put the locally configured package variables into place.
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   cp /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json

to this:

# put the locally configured package variables into place.
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   cp /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   rm /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.local

it seems to work now.

Thanks theone for reporting the issue.  Once I looked at the code I knew what the problem was.

I sent a PM to Joe L last night and the problem should be fixed now.  If everyone would like to hit the "Check for Updates" and "Install Updates" buttons for unMenu that would be great.

Report any issues you find!!

Thanks

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone here tried to use transmission remote to set up et configure the deamon?

so far it works for me!

http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

Thanks very cool!

The only problem I'm having is it seems to have no way to allow interactive selection of only a part of a torrent (ie a single file).

The utorrent client has this capability when 'opening' a torrent.

The transmission web interface can deselect files after a torrent has started via the 'Inspector' mechanism (see the 'f' icon)

Glad to see that people are enjoying and liking the package I created.

A lot of credit goes to Joe L and BubbaQ.

Now to try out all the tools to connect to the deamon.

It's working great and the transmisson-remote-gui finally let me move torrents off my laptop. What is the proper method of shutdown though? I always have to manually stop sabnzbd or I get the unmount loop of doom..

Glad to see that people are enjoying and liking the package I created.

A lot of credit goes to Joe L and BubbaQ.

Now to try out all the tools to connect to the deamon.

It's working great and the transmisson-remote-gui finally let me move torrents off my laptop. What is the proper method of shutdown though? I always have to manually stop sabnzbd or I get the unmount loop of doom..

There are buttons that where created during the install of Transmission and you will need to run the stop button from the User Scripts page.

There are other ways to do it, but it more complicated then I care to explain or find right now (its midnight here... time for bed)

Hi,

Today I notice like 3000 lines in the syslog from transmission; giving various updates.  Can we change the location where this is saved as I assume that it just wrote 3000 times to the flash drive at /boot/custom/transmission?

Kryspy

You can configure transmission to output only ERROR messages if you want.

I noticed that even after settting the configuration to "ERROR" only...I'm getting a lot of lines added to the syslog with various updates to the json file.  I'll post examples when i get home.

I noticed that even after settting the configuration to "ERROR" only...I'm getting a lot of lines added to the syslog with various updates to the json file.  I'll post examples when i get home.

Please do,

If it is something that I am doing wrong in the json file I would like to know so that I can get it fixed.

I've got a little problem and was hoping for some help with transmission.  I installed and started some fairly large downloads and all was well.  I have a 1+3 disk system with the first two disk almost full.  I made the assumption that transmission would use drives as needed when full.  Needless to say drive 1 is now Full and all downloads have paused.  I then created a share hoping to fix the problem but that didn't work.  So my question has two parts.  First how do set it up to utilize all available drives?  If it is possible to use all drives is there a way to get the current downloads to start using the other drives without canceling them and loosing all the time invested?

Please do,

If it is something that I am doing wrong in the json file I would like to know so that I can get it fixed.

Watching the transmission gui, the download seemed to stop and start multiple times.

this is repeated about 200x in 8 hours.  It probably is something I don't have setup properly. "file.abc" replaces actual filename. ;)

Dec  9 23:12:36 Tower transmission-daemon[27301]: Saved "/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/resume/"file.abc"-DMT.5df7e9df6a624388.resume" (bencode.c:1651)

Dec  9 23:12:36 Tower transmission-daemon[27301]: Saved "/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/stats.json" (bencode.c:1651)

I made the assumption that transmission would use drives as needed when full. 

Transmission, nor any application that is installed on unRAID will work that way unless specifically told to.

I then created a share hoping to fix the problem but that didn't work.

The config variables specify a disk drive and not a user share, because of that it will not "spill over" onto another drive.

First how do set it up to utilize all available drives?

you will need to stop transmission (use the button in the User Scripts section), edit the variables to point to /mnt/user/NAME_OF_USER_SHARE, then reinstall with the new values.

If it is possible to use all drives is there a way to get the current downloads to start using the other drives without canceling them and loosing all the time invested?

I am fairly certain there is, but I have not messed around with it enough to know for sure.

Watching the transmission gui, the download seemed to stop and start multiple times.

this is repeated about 200x in 8 hours.  It probably is something I don't have setup properly. "file.abc" replaces actual filename. ;)

Dec  9 23:12:36 Tower transmission-daemon[27301]: Saved "/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/resume/"file.abc"-DMT.5df7e9df6a624388.resume" (bencode.c:1651)
Dec  9 23:12:36 Tower transmission-daemon[27301]: Saved "/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/stats.json" (bencode.c:1651)

This is not something that I can control.  I do not create nor mess with the stats.json file and the starting and stopping issue I am not sure about.  Perhaps searching the transmission forums will reveal some clues.

The only thing I can tell you is to set the logging to to none to get rid of the messages.

I made the assumption that transmission would use drives as needed when full. 

Transmission, nor any application that is installed on unRAID will work that way unless specifically told to.

I then created a share hoping to fix the problem but that didn't work.

The config variables specify a disk drive and not a user share, because of that it will not "spill over" onto another drive.

First how do set it up to utilize all available drives?

you will need to stop transmission (use the button in the User Scripts section), edit the variables to point to /mnt/user/NAME_OF_USER_SHARE, then reinstall with the new values.

If it is possible to use all drives is there a way to get the current downloads to start using the other drives without canceling them and loosing all the time invested?

I am fairly certain there is, but I have not messed around with it enough to know for sure.

Here is what you want to do...

enable user-shares if they are not already enabled.

Stop transmission.

Currently the download directory is set to

/mnt/disk1/torrents/download

change it to

/mnt/user/torrents/download

Save the edits and then re-install with the new values (if using the unMENU package manager config screen)

(It will still see the same files through the user-shares so no downloads so far are lost.)

Set the split level on the "torrents" user-share to 1 and create a "torrents" folder on each disk you want used for torrents by hand. 

Or, set it to 3 to let it create folders as it needs on its own.

Then start transmission back up.

Joe L.

Hey guys I am having trouble getting this to work.... I had it working before running the unmenu update  here is what I had in my terminal when stoping and starting from command line 

root@Tower:~# /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission stop

Stopping Transmission deamon

/bin/cat: /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid: No such file or directory

kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

Killing Transmission deamon

kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

root@Tower:~# /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission start

Starting Transmission deamon

[16:38:31.201] JSON parser failed in /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json at line 40, column 16: ".5,

"ration-limi"

go script :

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

What am I doing wrong here??

Hey guys I am having trouble getting this to work.... I had it working before running the unmenu update  here is what I had in my terminal when stoping and starting from command line 

root@Tower:~# /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission stop

Stopping Transmission deamon

Killing Transmission deamon

root@Tower:~# /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission start

Starting Transmission deamon

[16:38:31.201] JSON parser failed in /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/settings.json at line 40, column 16: ".5,

"ration-limi"

Transmission will not start because something is screwed up in the settings.json file.  The problem is on line 40 and is the ratio limit line.

Without seeing the contents of that file it is hard to be more exact.

Follow up:  Ok so something was messed up in the settings.json file and it seemed like it kept reloading the bad settings. I went to the flash drive and there is a settings.json.default file.  I made copy of that and removed the default.  I had to edit both files on these because it seems like the changes were not sticking in unmenu.  I guess you need to stop the transmission service before making the changes, but it didn't seem to matter any way for me.

Different Issue:  I can't seem to get the watch folder to work right.  It works if I stop and restart the service, but will not update otherwise.  Has anyone been able to resolve that issue?  I checked the Transmission forms and someone asked there (running on freeNAS) but no one had an answer for him.

Thanks

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I'm truly enjoying my unRaid server. Even though I configured it using really old hardware to archive family photos, it's also working great as a video server!

I'm running unRaid 4.5.6 and have been using unMenu "Version 1.3" (as reported by unmenu_install -v).

I'd like to have a bittorrent client running directly on the unRaid box. I saw this thread about a Transmission package available via unMenu. I determined that I should begin by updating my unMenu installation. I think I shot myself in the foot ...

It wasn't clear if I need to manually download the latest copy of unmenu_install1371.zip from http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu. I decided that was not necessary and simply did the following:

telnet <IP address of my Tower>

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -u

There were a number of error messages such as:

Downloading images/stock/Hitachi.png

/tmp/unmenu_tmp/images/stock/Hitachi.png: No such file or directory

rev $Revision: 24207 $ $Date: 2010-12-29 13:44:58 -0500$

sed: can't read /tmp/unmenu_tmp/images/stock/Hitachi.png: No such file or directory

egrep: /tmp/unmenu_tmp/images/stock/Hitachi.png: No such file or directory

256bc8a5ca79f968858544157ee5c3c8 != d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e, /tmp/unmenu_tmp/images/stock/Hitachi.png not installed

(I can post the rest of the output if needed.)

The update appeared to "work". unmenu_install -v now reports "Version 1.3.7.2". But my unMenu webpage now returns "Server Not Found" on everything but the top half of the main page. Even rebooting the Tower does not resolve this.

So apparently I'm not as clever as I thought. If anyone has the time, could you please point me to info describing how to properly update unMenu to the version supporting Transmission and instructions for getting Transmission properly installed and configured.

Thanks for your help. I'm always pleased by the friendliness and helpfulness of this forum. What a great community!

simply run the update again.

cd /boot/unmenu

./unmenu_install -u -d /boot/unmenu

The first time you ran the update you were running the older version of unmenu_install.  It downloaded the newer version of itself.  The newer version is 1.3.7.2 

The newer version of unmenu_install is needed to download the new images and create the new image sub-directories.

Then, you'll probably need to stop the current unmenu process and restart it.

You can use the button on the user-script page to re-start it.

As far as the links not working, that is a different issue.  You probably had edited unmenu.conf to define the server name.  That either has to be done again (as it was replaced in the upgrade process with an un-edited version), or you need to do it in unmenu_local.conf where your changes will not be over-written. 

Joe L.