Transmission unMenu package

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this is the right place or not....Ive been using Transmission for a couple weeks (installed from unmenu). When the server restarts, I have to recheck all the torrents each time. Is this because the server is not shutting down correctly?

P.S - If my network goes down, should unraid reconnect automatically? This doesnt seem to be happening if so.

Not sure if this is the right place or not....Ive been using Transmission for a couple weeks (installed from unmenu). When the server restarts, I have to recheck all the torrents each time. Is this because the server is not shutting down correctly?

Yes, more than likely.  How are you shutting down your server?

P.S - If my network goes down, should unraid reconnect automatically? This doesnt seem to be happening if so.

Yes, it should and mine does.  It sounds like something may be wrong/misconfigured with your router.  Also, do your other computers reconnect just fine?

Yes, more than likely.  How are you shutting down your server?

Yes, it should and mine does.  It sounds like something may be wrong/misconfigured with your router.  Also, do your other computers reconnect just fine?

All my other computers connect just fine. I hear a beep from the server when the router gets reconnected and (if I remember correctly) another beep a couple seconds later, but its not connectible. Since there is nothing connected to the server except enet and power, if I cant connect to it I force it to shut down (bad I know but its only in testing right now).

I tried to spin down the drives and reboot it from unmenu last week and the disk would never spin down. Do I have to manually stop transmission before trying to spin down the disc?

So it looks like I should be stopping transmission before trying to spin down. Is there an easier way to do this then telnet and running the command?

All my other computers connect just fine. I hear a beep from the server when the router gets reconnected and (if I remember correctly) another beep a couple seconds later, but its not connectible. Since there is nothing connected to the server except enet and power, if I cant connect to it I force it to shut down (bad I know but its only in testing right now).

If you have a monitor and keyboard attached it would be great to get a syslog AFTER this problem occurs.  Directions for getting a syslog can be found in the troubleshooting link in my signature.

When the problem occurs again, grab a syslog and post it here, then restart the router and see if that fixes it.  If not, grab another syslog and post it here, then restart the computer.

Oh, please start a separate thread for the above issue as it is not directly related to the Transmission Package.

Do I have to manually stop transmission before trying to spin down the disc?

Check the User Script section in unMenu.  There should be a button in there to stop and start transmission so that the array can be taken offline cleanly.  If you need to run the command from the command line it should be

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl kill

That will stop the transmission deamon so that array can be taken down cleanly.

Wow.  So until I read this thread I never realized Transmission had a daemon and there were uTorrent-like multiplatform clients to connect to the daemon.  I'm going to have to try this out.  However, the tracker I use doesn't allow 2.01 so I'll have to figure out how to create a 2.11 package.

If by some miracle I was actually successful in creating the package, what's the best way to incorporate it with the package available in unMenu?  Call another script from /boot/config/go to "stop daemon, install pkg, start daemon"?

If by some miracle I was actually successful in creating the package, what's the best way to incorporate it with the package available in unMenu?  Call another script from /boot/config/go to "stop daemon, install pkg, start daemon"?

Yes, that should work, though you could update the unMenu package and post it here.  When we get it verified working Joe L can include it in and update to unMenu.

Yes, that should work, though you could update the unMenu package and post it here.  When we get it verified working Joe L can include it in and update to unMenu.

Well I'm not real sure how to update the unMenu package, but I'll post the 2.11 package here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62420/transmission-2.11-i486-1gsb.txz

It was built using a Slackbuild script I found here but used the source from transmissionbt:

http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/addon/gsb/gsb64-current_slackware64-13.1/source/n/transmission/

Once I installed 2.11 on top of 2.01, it did complain about libevent so I had to install that on top just like this board mentioned:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8074.0

All-in-all, I ended up just commenting out the 'transctl start' on the 'transmission.<...>.auto_install' script and inserted the two installpkg and the 'transctl start' in the go script.  There's probably a more graceful way of doing that but after 8 hours of tinkering with it I just wanted it to work  ;)

This is the first Ive worked with slackware and have limited linux knowledge. How exactly (once those files are transfered to the unraid server) do I install them? I got them open using 'mc' but dont know where to copy the files or how to install it. Please help.

Thanks.

This is the first Ive worked with slackware and have limited linux knowledge. How exactly (once those files are transfered to the unraid server) do I install them? I got them open using 'mc' but dont know where to copy the files or how to install it. Please help.

Thanks.

You and me both buddy.  Assuming you've already installed Transmission, try running these commands while substituting the paths with your own.

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop
installpkg /boot/custom/transmission-2.11-i486-1gsb.txz
installpkg /boot/custom/libevent-1412-i486-1.txz
/boot/custom/transmission/transctl start

That should get you going until your next reboot.  I guess you can add those lines to the go script to make it persistent.

Thanks.

You and me both buddy.  Assuming you've already installed Transmission, try running these commands while substituting the paths with your own.

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop
installpkg /boot/custom/transmission-2.11-i486-1gsb.txz
installpkg /boot/custom/libevent-1412-i486-1.txz
/boot/custom/transmission/transctl start

That should get you going until your next reboot.  I guess you can add those lines to the go script to make it persistent.

You can add me too the list as well!

Thanks for the help

Is there a way to change where transmission writes resume data?  I am getting what I believe to be a large number of writes coming from transmission, 10s of thousands of writes a day and they all seem to be the same directory, flash/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/resume.  If I could somehow put the resume data (or even the whole transmission install if needed) on my cache drive that would be great.

I have checked and if I stop transmission I have almost no writes to my flash drive after initial boot up.  If I start transmission again I end up with thousands of writes again in only a few hours.  This is all with only a single torrent running (my torrent usage is fairly low, I download only one motorcycle race a week that I cannot find anywhere else).  I would guess the writes would be much higher for people that use transmission more heavily, are others seeing this behavior or is it something unique to my setup?

Is there a way to change where transmission writes resume data?  I am getting what I believe to be a large number of writes coming from transmission, 10s of thousands of writes a day and they all seem to be the same directory, flash/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/resume.  If I could somehow put the resume data (or even the whole transmission install if needed) on my cache drive that would be great.

I have checked and if I stop transmission I have almost no writes to my flash drive after initial boot up.  If I start transmission again I end up with thousands of writes again in only a few hours.  This is all with only a single torrent running (my torrent usage is fairly low, I download only one motorcycle race a week that I cannot find anywhere else).  I would guess the writes would be much higher for people that use transmission more heavily, are others seeing this behavior or is it something unique to my setup?

What do you have the "message level" variable set to for the package install?

where do you see the number of writes to the flash drive?

where do you see the number of writes to the flash drive?

You can watch myMain and just refresh the page every 10 seconds or so.  You can see the writes on the drive go up.

I have it at the default, 2 (info).  I can turn this down if needed but it was my impression from reading this thread that messages were written to ram, not to disk.  Or does the syslog start flushing to disk after a certain amount of time/lines?

I have it at the default, 2 (info).  I can turn this down if needed but it was my impression from reading this thread that messages were written to ram, not to disk.  Or does the syslog start flushing to disk after a certain amount of time/lines?

You are correct that it runs in ram, and the syslog will be rotated when it gets to a certain size.  The default log level is incredibly verbose and got annoying to me very quickly.  I ended up turning it down so that nothing is logged to the syslog.

I run Transmission constantly and will check to see how many writes are going to my flash drive when I get home.

I noticed this too.

My first solution was just to copy directory to hard drive, somehow like this:

cp -r /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf /mnt/disk2/share/torrents/

and then simply edit script /boot/custom/transmission/transctl, variable TRANSCONF to point to the new location

(remember to use CR-LF safe editor)

This worked, but I was not satisfied becuase 90% time my NAS is only seeding and this writes keep my parity drive spun up.

So I made additional transctl script: added copying transmission.conf to /tmp before start and copy back to hard driver on transmission stop. And new TRANSCONF value point to /tmp/transmission.conf.

Good luck !

Just an update, while I am still getting writes to my flash drive from Transmission they are not 10-20k per day as I had been seeing the past few days.  It turns out the latest build of Sickbeard started writing it's logs to the directory I was in when I launched it, not the directory the executable was in and I was seeing a bunch of writes from Sickbeard as well.

From what I see transmission write to the "stats.json" file and "resume" folder about once every 2 minutes (changes in the modified date of the file).

I get about 250 write to the flash drive every 30 minutes --> 12000 every day if it keeps going like that.

I haven't found out yet what is doing all the writes though...

From what I see transmission write to the "stats.json" file and "resume" folder about once every 2 minutes (changes in the modified date of the file).

I get about 250 write to the flash drive every 30 minutes --> 12000 every day if it keeps going like that.

I haven't found out yet what is doing all the writes though...

And that is a recipe for an early death of the flash drive.  (some are supposedly only capable of 100,000 writes or so, others may work for a million or more.)