[SOLVED] Cache Drive Full, Mover Doesn't Work

You need to have the Use Cache setting set to ‘yes’ for any share where you want mover to move files from cache to array.   You should read the help for this setting built into the GUI to understand how the options for this setting affects where new files are placed and what action (if any) mover takes.

17 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You need to have the Use Cache setting set to ‘yes’ for any share where you want mover to move files from cache to array.   You should read the help for this setting built into the GUI to understand how the options for this setting affects where new files are placed and what action (if any) mover takes.

Very interesting.  I would think telling shares to not use the cache drive would keep data off of the cache drive.  I guess not.  I'll read up.

I set the shares that had data on the cache drive to "yes" and the mover says it's running now.  So, I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

I would think telling shares to not use the cache drive would keep data off of the cache drive.

Only if you write new files to the user share. Files can be written directly to the cache drive by several different methods. What type of files are sitting on the cache drive that you think should have been written to the array?

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Only if you write new files to the user share. Files can be written directly to the cache drive by several different methods. What type of files are sitting on the cache drive that you think should have been written to the array?

I don't know specifically what's on the cache drive and that doesn't really matter to me.  The issue I'm having, and the reason I'm needing it to clear off, is it's filling up and making my VMs do strange things.  So, I suppose files related to VMs are what I don't want on the cache drive.

1 minute ago, rmp5s said:

I would think telling shares to not use the cache drive would keep data off of the cache drive. 

It WILL stop Unraid placing NEW files on the cache that are being written to a User Share.

It will NOT stop you manually placing files there or an application (e.g. a docker container) that is bypassing the share system from placing files on the cache.

The Mover application only takes action on a share whose Use Cache setting is set to Yes (cache to array or Prefer (array to cache)

3 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

So, I suppose files related to VMs are what I don't want on the cache drive.

You do not normally want VM files to be on the main array as the limited write speed to the array can badly affect performance of a VM.   If not using the cache for such files then an Unassigned Device is typically used instead.

Edited by itimpi
13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It WILL stop Unraid placing NEW files on the cache that are being written to a User Share.

It will NOT stop you manually placing files there or an application (e.g. a docker container) that is bypassing the share system from placing files on the cache.

The Mover application only takes action on a share whose Use Cache setting is set to Yes (cache to array or Prefer (array to cache)

Ah.  Got ya.  Makes sense.  

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You do not normally want VM files to be on the main array as the limited write speed to the array can badly affect performance of a VM.   If not using the cache for such files then an Unassigned Device is typically used instead.

I'm not doing anything super intensive on most of my VMs, but there is one VM that I could use the performance.  Maybe clean the cache off and just assign it to that VM?

1 minute ago, rmp5s said:

I'm not doing anything super intensive on most of my VMs, but there is one VM that I could use the performance.  Maybe clean the cache off and just assign it to that VM

If you are running the VM from a vdisk then it can share the use of the cache (assuming the vdisk is smaller than the size of the cache).

On 10/4/2019 at 9:28 AM, itimpi said:

If you are running the VM from a vdisk then it can share the use of the cache (assuming the vdisk is smaller than the size of the cache).

Yea, I am running vdisks on all the VMs.  Do they just use the cache disk automatically or do I have to change some setting?

1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

Yea, I am running vdisks on all the VMs.  Do they just use the cache disk automatically or do I have to change some setting?

The default location for vdisks is specified under Settings -> VM Manager, but you can specify any location for a vdisk when setting up a VM.

• rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] Cache Drive Full, Mover Doesn't Work