Unraid server not booting

Unraid 6.7.2

After starting the Handbrake and MakeMKV dockers, I had a high CPU issue on four cores of my hyperthreaded CPU and sections of the GUI became unresponsive. It's not the first time this has happened, and a reboot usually gets me back to normal operation. I haven't been able to rip any media in months as this has been an ongoing issue.

That's secondary, however, as this time I couldn't get it to reboot gracefully so I was forced to do a hard reset of the system. When it came back up, it goes through the boot loader but hangs during boot, even on safe mode. The last message on the console starts with:

RIP: 0010:kmem_cache_alloc_node

Any suggestions on what to look at to get this back to working order? This is the media server for my home and it's very inconvenient to have it offline.

1 minute ago, thorkull said:

Unraid 6.7.2

After starting the Handbrake and MakeMKV dockers, I had a high CPU issue on four cores of my hyperthreaded CPU and sections of the GUI became unresponsive. It's not the first time this has happened, and a reboot usually gets me back to normal operation. I haven't been able to rip any media in months as this has been an ongoing issue.

That's secondary, however, as this time I couldn't get it to reboot gracefully so I was forced to do a hard reset of the system. When it came back up, it goes through the boot loader but hangs during boot, even on safe mode. The last message on the console starts with:

RIP: 0010:kmem_cache_alloc_node

Any suggestions on what to look at to get this back to working order? This is the media server for my home and it's very inconvenient to have it offline.

It might be worth putting the USB drive into a PC/Mac and running a check on it in case there is some corruption.   Do you have a backup pf its contents?   If not I would suggest making one while it is plugged into the PC/Mac.

itimpi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did load it in my PC to see if there were any logs, and Windows indicated there were problems with the drive. I didn't accept the offer to fix them as I don't trust Windows to not corrupt a Linux filesystem. I've made a copy of the contents as suggested.

When I ran the repair tool in Windows, it's now saying no errors were found.

Tried booting off the "repaired" USB, still same error.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

Edited by thorkull
1 hour ago, thorkull said:

itimpi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did load it in my PC to see if there were any logs, and Windows indicated there were problems with the drive. I didn't accept the offer to fix them as I don't trust Windows to not corrupt a Linux filesystem. I've made a copy of the contents as suggested.

When I ran the repair tool in Windows, it's now saying no errors were found.

Tried booting off the "repaired" USB, still same error.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

The flash drive is NOT a Linux file system - it is FAT32 which is a Windows file system!  Windows understands this far better than any Linux system does.

Since Windows ran a repair there may well be corrupt files on the USB stick making the boot still fail.   I would recommend reformatting the drive to FAT32 in Windows and then run the Limetech tool for creating a USB drive as you would for a new system.  When that completes you can copy the ‘config’ folder from the backup you made overwriting the contents put there by the Limetech tool.   That will bring across all your settings and your license key.    With any luck everything will now boot up fine.

Ok so I rebuilt the USB key and I'm kinda still having the same issue. It boots all the way up, but there's an error on the console and I can't access the web interface (connection refused). That's progress of a sort. I can get in via SSH so if there's some log files I should be looking at I'd appreciate a suggestion.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Squid said:

Try the diagnostics again in safe mode.  After that, try the GUI boot mode (or non-gui if GUI is what you normally do)

Also wouldn't hurt to give it a pass or 2 with memtest

Ran memtest for a few days, it didn't find any problems.

Booted to safe mode (no GUI). Was able to SSH in and kick off diagnostics but it's not doing anything after a couple of days. Logged in again to see if the file is being written and I can't even cd to /boot/logs. At this point I suspect a problem with the USB drive. Guess I'll get a new one and see if it works.