[Support] HaveAGitGat - Tdarr: Audio/Video Library Analytics & Transcode Automation

On 2/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, mwells said:

First off thank you.  I just started using this container and I like all the options you have to control your media files. 

I'm having an issue with the container not using the PUID:99 and PGID: 100 defined in the template.  When the container writes any file it does so as root.  Most of the containers when the PUID and PGID are set it uses this when writing files created.  Can you please change the container to use these settings?  I don't want my media files created as root that are output from this container.

Anyone else having this issue?  I thought I might have setup something incorrectly, but everything else is working fine.  Only issue is the files are being created with the wrong owner.

Thanks

Ok I'll have a look at the Docker settings.

Hello,

i've just installed the container and i'm trying to understand how it works.

My purpose is to reencode all my video fileswhich are not in hevc in hevc and let audio and subtitles streams untouched (passtrough) 

I created my first library. It's a movie one which was reencoded last mont with unmanic.

As i don't want to break my library i first run health check with 4 workers. it was ok.

For the setup of the library :

source : ok the folder is correctly mapped and i can select the movie subfolder

transcode cache : i selected /tmp/Tdarr for mapping : the cache folder will be in ram (i have plenty)

output folder: i let it untouched. In my understanding it means transcoded files will overwrite original ones.

containers : i removed m2ts from the list : in a bluray there are hundreds of m2ts i don't want to convert it all.

transcode : i checked plugin stack

i checked Tdarr_Plugin_lmg1_Reorder_Streams to have streams in correct order

i checked Tdarr_Plugin_075a_FFMPEG_HEVC_Generic as i want only video encoding of non hevc files.

Then i checked process library and run scan (new).

I then select 1 transcode worker.

I had a bug as 3 transcode worker were started. i killed 2; 1 is enough to see result.

Waiting to see the result. For now i have a concern.

The library has been scanned with 462 files. 7 are h264 videos and 455 are h265.

Despite the transcode settings 205 files have been queued for encoding: why not only 7 ?

In the search tab why i search for h264 it finds 9 files. It clearly indicates that 2 are hevc.

When i look at the queue i see hevc files but i shouldn't.

Do you know what might be the problem?

When i click on skip in the queue it indicates transcode success. The files which were not in the queue are marked "not required".

Edit: 30 minutes after the beginning tdarr deleted the 199 h264 files in the queue and marked them as transcode not required. I don't know why exactly.

Edited by caplam
15 hours ago, HaveAGitGat said:

There's not a plugin which doesn that at the moment but can add it to the to-do list.

That would be great! For context this is ideal when someone wants a certain track as the default for their players, in my case I need the 5.1 AC3 channel as the default, but I want to keep the existing audio streams for other systems.

After the night it seems to run quite well. Like unmanic it transcode almost 4 files at a time in an hour with the cpu. I have around 3000 files left to transcode which should take around 4 months.

I'm looking a gpu (for now i have an old nvidia quadro 280 which is useless) to accelerate the process.

The P400 is not expensive and draw around 30W. It can transcode 2 streams simultanously but i don't know at what speed.

The P2000 is more expensive and draw 75W. 

Do this 2 cards work with tdarr ?

What would you choose ? 

When my library will be transcoded i will not need more than 2 transcodes at a time.

Can tdarr transcode 2 files with the gpu and 2 others with the cpu at the same time ?

16 hours ago, letrain said:

If this has already been asked, i am sorry. i did search but couldn't find an answer.

Is it possible to passthrough the same GPU to Tdarr and Plex? and have it used at the same time?

Yes pretty sure it's possible to do that if you follow the unraid nvenc setup instructions for both containers:

unRAID: Enable NVENC: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77813-plugin-linuxserverio-unraid-nvidia/

1 hour ago, caplam said:

After the night it seems to run quite well. Like unmanic it transcode almost 4 files at a time in an hour with the cpu. I have around 3000 files left to transcode which should take around 4 months.

I'm looking a gpu (for now i have an old nvidia quadro 280 which is useless) to accelerate the process.

The P400 is not expensive and draw around 30W. It can transcode 2 streams simultanously but i don't know at what speed.

The P2000 is more expensive and draw 75W. 

Do this 2 cards work with tdarr ?

What would you choose ? 

When my library will be transcoded i will not need more than 2 transcodes at a time.

Can tdarr transcode 2 files with the gpu and 2 others with the cpu at the same time ?

Yes, any card which supports NVENC will work with Tdarr:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

P400 would be fine for me. I use a 1050Ti. Those cards perform the same for transcoding but the P2000 has unlimited concurrent transcodes.

NVENC still uses lots of CPU so you probably wouldn't want to use 2 separate transcodes on the CPU. You can do that though.

24 minutes ago, HaveAGitGat said:

Yes, any card which supports NVENC will work with Tdarr:

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

P400 would be fine for me. I use a 1050Ti. Those cards perform the same for transcoding but the P2000 has unlimited concurrent transcodes.

NVENC still uses lots of CPU so you probably wouldn't want to use 2 separate transcodes on the CPU. You can do that though.

I have an old machine but it can run 4 transcodes with cpu. I have 2x2650V2 with 128Gb ram.

I wonder how fast would be a p400 compare to that?

4 hours ago, caplam said:

I have an old machine but it can run 4 transcodes with cpu. I have 2x2650V2 with 128Gb ram.

I wonder how fast would be a p400 compare to that?

Save your money and get a 1050ti and use the driver mod to let it do more than 2 transcodes. you will run out of cpu before you run out of gpu. i have a 2700x pinned on 6 cores and i get maxed out on the cpu at 6 transcodes i dropped it to 3 so less failed and my system did not lag the gpu was reading 35% usage. it churns through the files fast enough when i was just using 2 GPU encoding is soooooooo much faster than cpu as it uses both.

Edited by nicksphone
spelling
8 hours ago, nicksphone said:

Save your money and get a 1050ti and use the driver mod to let it do more than 2 transcodes. you will run out of cpu before you run out of gpu. i have a 2700x pinned on 6 cores and i get maxed out on the cpu at 6 transcodes i dropped it to 3 so less failed and my system did not lag the gpu was reading 35% usage. it churns through the files fast enough when i was just using 2 GPU encoding is soooooooo much faster than cpu as it uses both.

This is interesting,  I have a p2000 handling 20 HEVC transcodes and my cpu it sitting around 60% with the gpu at 25%, its an intel xeon e3-1240v5 3.5 4core/4ht cores. 

18 hours ago, cryzis said:

This is interesting,  I have a p2000 handling 20 HEVC transcodes and my cpu it sitting around 60% with the gpu at 25%, its an intel xeon e3-1240v5 3.5 4core/4ht cores. 

That was 4k reencodes i max out the load and stress. With 20 encodes you might want to get some test files made to see the transcode times. I noticed 3 to 4 times longer when in had more transcodes going so your not saving any time and adding more wear on the drives.

Edited by nicksphone
Typo
On 2/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, nicksphone said:

That was 4k reencodes i max out the load and stress. With 20 encodes you might want to get some test files made to see the transcode times. I noticed 3 to 4 times longer when in had more transcodes going so your not saving any time and adding more wear on the drives.

Good point, I took the workers down to four, seems to be working better overall

On 2/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, nicksphone said:

I have a 1050ti I use as well.  However, what driver mod are you referring to that will allow more then 2 transcodes on the 1050ti?

On 2/17/2020 at 2:49 AM, HaveAGitGat said:

There's not a plugin which doesn that at the moment but can add it to the to-do list.

You could add an option to the "Transcode Audio Stream" generic plugin to set the newly created audio stream as default. I think it would also have to remove default from any other existing streams.

This may not be a good fit for that plugin but it was a thought.

Edited by cryzis

I'm trying to get tdarr configured, but not having much luck. I have edited the container to try to point it to a test folder that I have on the server. Here is my folder structure:

/mnt/user/media/movies (movie folder)

/mnt/user/media/series (tv shows)

/mnt/user/media/tdarr (tdarr test folder)

Plan is to copy some movies / tv shows into the tdarr folder for testing purposes.

I can start the container, but when I try to browse to the test folder, it keeps telling me that the path is invalid?

I tried to add "/" to the folder path, then hit the browse button, but I am only able to get to a folder called media. Not really sure where that is....

I'm having the same trouble setting up the cache folder as well...I thought that was defined in the docker config setting?

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, propman07 said:

I'm trying to get tdarr configured, but not having much luck. I have edited the container to try to point it to a test folder that I have on the server. Here is my folder structure:

/mnt/user/media/movies (movie folder)

/mnt/user/media/series (tv shows)

/mnt/user/media/tdarr (tdarr test folder)

That's your host paths, what are they mapped to on the container side?

45 minutes ago, propman07 said:

I can start the container, but when I try to browse to the test folder, it keeps telling me that the path is invalid?

You need to browse to the folders defined for the container half of the docker mapping.

For now it's working as intended. I'm waiting for a quadro p400 to accelerate the process.

I have a question: how would you do to have tdarr reencode hevc into hevc if the bitrate is higher a certain value. For now it's converting my h264 media files in hevc.

I have also some big hevc files and i'd like to have it downsized. 

For now tdarr doesn't touch hevc files.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, ice pube said:

Is there a way to prevent this docker from filling up my docker.img? Everything looks fine in my settings that I can tell. My encodes share is a cache-only share. I am using a P2000 nvidia card. 

tdarr 1.png

tdarr 2.png

its using 2.5gigs of the 4 gigs its saved its self i would not worry about it unless your docker.img is on a small cache drive krusadar a simple file manager uses 2.4 gigs of docker space. ive been running it for months and im using 2.5 gigs still. if your running low on docker space change the size a few gigs. if your docker is filling up something else might be the hog.