Considering CPU Upgrade or adding graphics card....

My current system information is below...all works fine for my needs. At the time, 4-5 years ago, this was a pretty solid system (I think) and still is working fine. But I really enjoy tweaking my system. I guess most of us do... 🙂

Been running my system for some time and wondering if it would make any sense to upgrade to a newer CPU and/or add a graphics card? It may not make a noticable difference but I am starting to do some more intense things (like Unmanic).

My CPU is a Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.7GHz. MoB is SuperMicro X10SL7-F/

Or it may make more sense to leave things alone and when really needed, do a complete upgrade including MoB, CPU, adding a grpahics card....

I am itching to have a play but if I am going to see minor improvements, I will hold off.

Thanks for any thoughts...

7 hours ago, TexasDave said:

My current system information is below...all works fine for my needs. At the time, 4-5 years ago, this was a pretty solid system (I think) and still is working fine. But I really enjoy tweaking my system. I guess most of us do... 🙂

Been running my system for some time and wondering if it would make any sense to upgrade to a newer CPU and/or add a graphics card? It may not make a noticable difference but I am starting to do some more intense things (like Unmanic).

My CPU is a Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.7GHz. MoB is SuperMicro X10SL7-F/

Or it may make more sense to leave things alone and when really needed, do a complete upgrade including MoB, CPU, adding a grpahics card....

I am itching to have a play but if I am going to see minor improvements, I will hold off.

Thanks for any thoughts...

It depends what you claim...

Need VMs? More transcoding-power? More cores? Its up to you 😉

My sys is from 2013 and there are some upgrade reasons:

AVX2 for dual-parity (not supported by my CPU),

Intel-NIC onboard,

DMI 3.0,

More PCIe-x16 slots,

More cores and so on.

But as long as the sys is running, i let it run...

Edited by Zonediver