Why don't my disks spin down?

Hi, thanks for reading

I have just moved my config into a server with room for more disks, and added a parity drive. before I added the parity drive, most of the disks would spin down and only active disks would spin up, now, all of my disks are permanently spun up, and if I hit the spin down button they spin straight back up, the majority of the disks are empty and so there is no need for them to be spinning all the time

Any help you can provide will be hugely welcome :-)

Your appdata, domains, and system shares have data on the array. Ideally those shares would only have data on cache so docker and VMs would not keep disks spinning and so docker and VM performance would not be impacted by slower parity writes.

Do you actually have any VMs? Doesn't look like it since there is no libvirt image mounted.

• 4 months later...

Hi trurl

Thanks so much for helping the OP in this.  I have a similar problem in that one of my disks will not stay spun down.  I recently replaced the drive as it was beginning to fail (possibly because of being in a permanently energised state?).  I have checked the files on the drive and stopped the Nextcloud docker in case that was the cause.  There are no shares that should be on the cache drive, to my knowledge, and only download data from dockers such as Radarr, Sonarr and NZBGet amongst other private data shares.  Something is causing the disk to spin up.  If I manually spin all disks down and leave the server completely alone, disk 5 and the two parity disks will automatically spin up again within 10 minutes.  I am not an expert in this by any means but I have tried to keep all appdata, domains and system files on the cache pool drives only, so I am at a bit of a loss.  I attach the system diagnostics log.

Hoping for an expert eye to pick up the problem :)

Many thanks

D

Disks spun down.jpg

Disk 5 + parity spun up.jpg

Disk 5 shares.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20200306-0530.zip

Edited by adgilcan
rearrange images