[SOLVED] Wake on LAN not Working (Realtek LAN Controller, MSI X470 Gaming Plus)

I've been struggling to get Wake on LAN working for a few days now.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

One potential issue I noticed is how I'm not getting any LED activity with the ethernet port while the system is asleep.  I talked to a MSI rep and he had no idea if that was normal behavior or not.    Edit:  The activity lights remain off always when the system is asleep.

Summary:

1) MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
2) Router is Netgear R6400
3) BIOS ErP set to Disabled
4) BIOS PCIe and USB Wake functions Enabled
5) unRAID 6.7.2
6) S3 Sleep, using S3 Sleep plugin along with the information here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)
7) I've been using this utility to send the wake packet: https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd
8 ) Wake from USB does work

Running ethtool eth0 yields this

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP AUI BNC MII FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                             1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
                               drv probe ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

Edited by Marc_G2
  • 2 weeks later...

By now have you, Marc_G2, or anyone else actually tested WOL with an Intel I210-T1 (I210-AT chipset) NIC on the MSI X470 Gaming Plus?

I'm in the middle rebuilding my server with this board and just realized that the WOL issue with the onboard NIC exists. Really don't want to drop another $45-$80 on another NIC if it won't solve the problem.

I would assume that everyone has checked for BIOS updates...  (I seem to recall that WOL was a real hit-and-miss proposition depending on the many different factors.  Then things seem to have settled done.)   One of you folks should be setting up a table (MB, chip set, NIC, manufacturer)  to figure out what is the common factor(s).

Yes. Latest BIOS version 7B79vAF. Released less than a month ago. I always update the BIOS when assembling a new build.

You're correct in that there had been similar issues with WOL not working with various hardware 5-10 years ago. That's actually why I originally got the Intel NIC EXPI9301CTBLK which enabled WOL with earlier boards but unfortunately does not so far with this X470. Thought we were past this issue by now.

OK. This works for me so far with onboard NIC. 😎  (Based on the OP's experiment in this thread. He's asked MSI for help a couple months back, but apparently to no avail so far.) Fortunately we can easily add the required code to our go script.

Add following to /config/go .

# Enable WOL if needed (i.e. for MSI X470 Gaming Plus).
ethtool -s eth0 wol g
Edited by lewcass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Marc_G2 said:

Nice. It looks like that fixed it for me as well. 

I actually saw that MSI thread as well.  But I couldn't figure out what he was trying to say so I quickly moved on lol.

😀😉

He didn't help by misstating the first console command he sent to check the NIC status as the same as the one that addresses the issue. Fortunately he actually did know what he was doing. 🙂 Wouldn't be anywhere other than frustrated without his efforts.

Edited by lewcass
  • 10 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, lewcass said:

OK. This works for me so far with onboard NIC. 😎  (Based on the OP's experiment in this thread. He's asked MSI for help a couple months back, but apparently to no avail so far.) Fortunately we can easily add the required code to our go script.

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Thanks very much! 

I was getting pretty frustrated. I even installed Windows to check that my BIOS settings for Wake On LAN were correct. They were, I was able to wake up my PC over the network. But as soon as I booted into Unraid and shutdown from that, WOL stopped working. This addition to /config/go fixed it.

(For reference, my motherboard is an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 with a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 NIC onboard)

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, lewcass said:

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

works for me as well on an ASRock mainboard with Intel i350 RT4 NIC

thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, lewcass said:

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Thanks for this, works great now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, lewcass said:

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

How do you edit the script?