jlficken

LSI 9211-8i and TRIM support?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm building a new machine with this being the base machine (with some changes including the above HBA):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-4U-CSE-846-24-Bay-SAS2-BP-X9DRi-F-2x-W-2x-E5-2630Lv2-16GB-IT-MODE/153667736717?hash=item23c74f948d:g:iu4AAOSwWZFdQIVA

I see that some SSD's don't work with TRIM and the above HBA.

https://ichabod-origin.aws.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161496937/trim-and-sgunmap-support-for-lsi-hbas-and-raid-controllers

Is there a current list somewhere of SSD's that will work with the HBA that I'm getting?

I have a spare 512GB Samsung 860 Pro that I'd like to use but I don't think it will work?

Trim on LSI SAS2008/2308 hasn't been working for a while, it appears to be a kernel/driver issue, it works on the newer LSI SAS3008 based controllers, or use onboard SATA if possible.

Bummer but thanks for the info!

I have a couple of Seagate 2.5" 1TB Constellation.2 drives that I could use for the Cache drives as well.

If I can't get the SSD's working via the on-board SATA I'll just use them even though they'll probably be slow.

Thanks to @johnnie.black for this info:

Up to Unraid 6.3.5, mpt3sas driver 13.100.00.00, TRIM works on LSI SAS2 and SAS3 HBAs, starting with Unraid 6.4.1, mpt3sas driver 15.100.00.00, TRIM stopped working on SAS2 HBAs, like the 9211-8i, 9207-8i, etc, but still works on SAS3 HBAs like the 9300-8i.     

But note that for all cases, TRIM with LSI HBAs only works on SSDs with deterministic read zeros after TRIM, for SSDs with no deterministic read after TRIM you get the standard TRIM unsupported error when running fstrim: 

the discard operation is not supported

When running fstrim with a SAS2 LSI HBA on an SSD with deterministic read trim support and latest drivers you get a different more cryptic error:

FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I/O error

All Samsung consumer SSD models prior to the 860 EVO don't support deterministic reads after TRIM, so if for example you have an 850 EVO it will never be trimmed by an LSI HBA.

I believe the PRO models are different, and most support it, you can easily check with hdparm:

OK for LSI HBA:

hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep TRIM * Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks) * Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK for LSI HBA:

hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep TRIM * Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)

It's been reported on other thread that it works with an older firmware, p16.00.00.00 IIRC, but still only with SSDs that support DRZAT.