Dell R410 fan script for unraid

Hello,

I am a bit new to server grade gear but I wrote a bit script, where friend helped me a little bit with bash piping.
This script is available from github: https://github.com/Tulikukka/Dell-R410-fan-speed-controller-script

Features:

• Requires just ipmitool package
  • Bash script
  • updates fan speeds every minute based on uptime's "average" load.
  • example code made for 2x L5640 (2x60W TPD) @ 25C ambient
  • has excel for fan speed hex values. Colors are used to guide tweakers.

Special thanks to Jamie's blog to get me started using ipmitool.

Suggestions, tweaks, etc. are welcome.

Edited by fireflower
added features
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you so much

Finally. Have been waiting for something like this that actually work.

I got a Dell Poweredge R720 and tried everthing in bios and IDRAC and dynamix fan speed control and nothing work.

I have been running fans on 8000 RPM for a long time and paid someone to make a static script. My fans go to 17000, but i guess its not so hard to change the speed hex values. IPMI tools scripts doesnt work, but User script in apps does work.  Just have to put custom schedule to make it run every minute. Custom schedule have to be this:  */1 * * * *

Skjermbilde.PNG

Skjermbilde2.PNG

Edited by ajugland
Hardware I use
34 minutes ago, ajugland said:

Thank you so much

Finally. Have been waiting for something like this that actually work.

I got a Dell Poweredge R720 and tried everthing in bios and IDRAC and dynamix fan speed control and nothing work.

I have been running fans on 8000 RPM for a long time and paid someone to make a static script. My fans go to 17000, but i guess its not so hard to change the speed hex values. IPMI tools scripts doesnt work, but User script in apps does work.  Just have to put custom schedule to make it run every minute. Custom schedule have to be this:  */1 * * * *

https://ipsassets.unraid.net/uploads/monthly_2020_04/Skjermbilde.thumb.PNG.f41414fe48a2345cfb935f41a7e195ca.PNG
https://ipsassets.unraid.net/uploads/monthly_2020_04/Skjermbilde2.PNG.6fa5c1ed46628fcaec4cd114f286537b.PNG

This script has not been tested to work with R720 or none other server than R410. The basic script is pretty easy to transfer to other systems if you have just have raw codes for fans. Crontab * * * * * should run the script every minute but guess */1 * * * * works also because it literally tells cronjob to run every minute of every minute.

Edited by fireflower

Poweredge R720

Yes it worked for a week. Now I got this error message. I am not sure its related but still:

"Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session" 

It entered express mode for IDRAC, but got a trial licence and will see if it works.

Poweredge R710

Its getting connection. Fans are spinning up then throttling down again rigtht away. Every minute

Edited by ajugland