Drive Usage Alerts

OFark

I know I've seen topics on this before, but bear with me. (Grrrr)

If the space allocation is in High Water mode, it kinda doesn't make sense to have the free space in terms of percentage, and perhaps it could be in steps of the high water bands? I realise this moves the notifications out of global settings and into notifications for the array, but maybe the global settings could have one setting for percentage and another for High Water?

As a side note, it would be usefull to know if the split level was abusing the High Water allocation mode. I recently had a situation where the split level filled a drive and the mover stopped even though there was over a TB available on other drives. In this situation High Water was being ignored and a notification to say this drive had passed the next High Water mark before the other drives had caught up would let me know something needed doing.

Edit:

The drives at the lowest High Water mark in Green, the ones that have passed the current High Water mark in Orange and any that have gone past the next High Water mark in Red?

Edit:

I think I've been an idiot and should wait for caffiene to kick in before posting ideas. High Water allocation is share based, not array based. Dang, all my shares are High water so my brain was thinking about this the wrong way. Hmmmz, a notification would still be good. Maybe you can set drive free space to high water notification mode, that worked using the same algorithm?

Edited by OFark
19 minutes ago, itimpi said:

it is worth pointing out that you can set individual alert levels for each drive by clicking on them on the Main tab and setting custom levels from there phat over-ride the global setting for that drive

Thanks for this; I learned something today. HOWEVER, the percentage thing I get for a global value, you don't know how big the drives are going to be then. But a percentage override of a percentage per drive? That makes very little sense. I'd have to work out at what point on that drive I want a notification, fine, but then I have to work out what that is as a percentage of the whole drive.

Currently I am aware my drives are getting full, I have notifications, but I'm kinda ignoring them now, because I keep getting notified. I require a smarter notification that works based on impending failures rather than an arbitary percentage.

2 hours ago, OFark said:

Currently I am aware my drives are getting full, I have notifications, but I'm kinda ignoring them now, because I keep getting notified. I require a smarter notification that works based on impending failures rather than an arbitary percentage.

I find it easy enough to work out how much space I want left on each drive before I get both the notification.

You really want it set up so that you do NOT ignore notifications as you might easily end up ignoring one that tells you there is some sort of failure on the drive rather than it merely getting full so that you know you need to take action before it gets worse.

4 hours ago, OFark said:

require a smarter notification that works based on impending failures rather than an arbitary percentage.

That's two completely different things.

There are notifications based on SMART attributes which tell when a disk may get problems/issues.

While the disk utilization notifications are ment to tell the user when a disk is nearing its projected capacity.

Percentages are used as threshold to be independent from actual disk size and avoids the need to reconfigure thresholds whenever disks are replaced for different sized disks.