Disk Disabled, Contents Emulated

Howdy folks! 👋

The last time I had a disk in a similar state, I rushed things, screwed up and lost 3TB of media... Do'h 🤦‍♂️

So I'd love to get a lovely expert's opinion on what to do next 😁

image.png.637283cb036a2e4c1955b501bb97cb67.png

Disk 3 is still open-able, no errors in the SMART data 👌

What I've done so far:

- Went to move some recent files which would've been moved from Cache to the Array within the last few days 😃

- I got a couple of emails from my NAS warning me that /dev/sdg had gone bad 😬

- I headed to the main page & saw the lovely

- Checked the SMART data on the disk, seemed fine

- Rebooted...

I got another email to say "Subject: Notice [RAPTOR] - array turned good"

- Still got a lovely emulated disk 

- Grabbed a diag dump & headed straight here ❤️

What should I do next?

- I believe disk 3 to be healthy

- I don't have physical access at the moment 😔 (I'm a couple hundred miles away)

- I do have full web / SSH (VPN) access

And of course, thank you in advance for being amazing!!

raptor-diagnostics-20191010-1615.zip

I had a similar issue last week with drives being marked bad/disabled while I was tracking down some hardware gremlins.  The drives were actually fine so this is what I did (going from memory)..... Tools->new config.  from the drop down, select preserve [ALL] drive assignments and apply.  Go back to drive assignments and they should all be correctly assigned but marked as new.  At the bottom, select "parity is valid" and start array.  After it starts, all of the drives should be happy.  In my case, I would also start the array in maintenance mode and turn around and do a non-correcting parity check to ensure everything is working correctly (hardware and drive wise). btw, I'm running 6.7.2 but it would still be the same for you.

1 hour ago, civic95man said:

I had a similar issue last week with drives being marked bad/disabled while I was tracking down some hardware gremlins.  The drives were actually fine so this is what I did (going from memory)..... Tools->new config.  from the drop down, select preserve [ALL] drive assignments and apply.  Go back to drive assignments and they should all be correctly assigned but marked as new.  At the bottom, select "parity is valid" and start array.  After it starts, all of the drives should be happy.  In my case, I would also start the array in maintenance mode and turn around and do a non-correcting parity check to ensure everything is working correctly (hardware and drive wise). btw, I'm running 6.7.2 but it would still be the same for you.

Trouble with that procedure is that technically parity isn't actually valid in your case.  This is because a write to the drive actually failed which means that the contents of parity was updated and the contents of the drive wasn't.    (Not to mention any other writes that happened to the emulated drive before you noticed that it was disabled)

IE: Parity is valid, but the contents of the drive are incorrect.

A correcting parity check would update parity to reflect the drive's content (which is wrong)

Ideally this situation calls for:

1. Stop Array
  2. Unassign the disabled drive
  3. Start Array
  4. Stop Array
  5. Reassign the disabled drive
  6. Start Array and let unRaid rebuild the contents of it onto itself.
Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Squid said:

Trouble with that procedure is that technically parity isn't actually valid in your case.  This is because a write to the drive actually failed which means that the contents of parity was updated and the contents of the drive wasn't.    (Not to mention any other writes that happened to the emulated drive before you noticed that it was disabled)

IE: Parity is valid, but the contents of the drive are incorrect.

A correcting parity check would update parity to reflect the drive's content (which is wrong)

Ideally this situation calls for:

1. Stop Array
  2. Unassign the disabled drive
  3. Start Array
  4. Stop Array
  5. Reassign the disabled drive
  6. Start Array and let unRaid rebuild the contents of it onto itself.

Thank you so much Squid!! Doing that now 🙏🙏🙏