Understanding Windows 10 kvm performance.

frodr

Hi.

Running benchmark tests on Windows 10 kvm show poor performance. I have allocate all 12 cores on the second cpu, Xeon Silver 4116, but benchmark tests show performance about as 4 core i5/I7. The vdisk is on the cache drive, which is a Raid 10 setup. 

Is this the performance we can expect. Or is some obvious setup changes I can do? 

Cheers,

Frode

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 18.41.20.png

3 hours ago, 1812 said:

you could follow the a setup guide for windows to start (and stop using qemu cpu and use host passthrough for starters)

then you could adjust cpu pinning

and finally, you could google "Unraid vm windows tuning"

Thanks. I have followed part1 and part2 of SIO`s videos when setting up the kvm, it is running host passthrough. Can it be something wrong on this topic? 

GPU and Nvme ssd are passthrough. Googled I have. I will have another look at pinning. 

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 03.43.34.png

23 hours ago, 1812 said:

you'd need to post your full diagnostics file to start.

it may also be a numa node issue.

What is the numa node issue?

I ran into some other problem while trying to get a Trustmaster steering wheel to work? When starting the kvm, an error message "Did not find USB.....". And when making changes in the xml another error message: "unknown PCIe vendor.....". I have restarted the server, restored appdata, but the error is still there. The error seems to be related to the PCIe USB card. I see the PCIe card in System Devices, see picture.

Log from kvm:

2019-10-12 11:03:59.388+0000: shutting down, reason=failed

Syslinux:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=1b21:1142 pcie_acs_override=multifunction initrd=/bzroot
label Unraid OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append pcie_acs_override=multifunction initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label Unraid OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Unraid OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Supermicro X11DAI-N, version 1.02 | AMI 3.1 | dual Xeon Silver 4116 | 64 MB RAM | 4 x WD SSD in RAID 10 Cache l Unraid 6.72 l Quadro RTX4000 for Plex docker l RTX 2080 for Win kvm l Samsung 970 Pro as second ssd for Win kvm l Asmedia PCIe USB card

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 22.44.03.png

Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 13.16.15.png

syslog-2.txt

Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 13.27.40.png

Edited by frodr

funny coincidence and could be totaly unrelated to your issue.

Was struggeling to get a trustmaster to work in w10vm as well via a passed asmedia usb3+usbc controller.

Same wheel worked fine on native w10machine with same drivers/software etc so was not a driver issue.

Gave up after a week trying. Then for another reason i started suspecting the asmedia controller (was not always recognised on boot and often had to reseat the card and or reboot a few times for it to be recognised on my supermicro board. Also i could intermittently not get usb3 to work on osx vm)

Bought from ebay a Sonnet allegro usb card (mainly for its native stellar osx support) and bam. Steering wheel works without issue without changing a thing in w10. And osx support is great as expected

So if you have access to other usb cards, give it a try.

1 hour ago, glennv said:

funny coincidence and could be totaly unrelated to your issue.

Was struggeling to get a trustmaster to work in w10vm as well via a passed asmedia usb3+usbc controller.

Same wheel worked fine on native w10machine with same drivers/software etc so was not a driver issue.

Gave up after a week trying. Then for another reason i started suspecting the asmedia controller (was not always recognised on boot and often had to reseat the card and or reboot a few times for it to be recognised on my supermicro board. Also i could intermittently not get usb3 to work on osx vm)

Bought from ebay a Sonnet allegro usb card (mainly for its native stellar osx support) and bam. Steering wheel works without issue without changing a thing in w10. And osx support is great as expected

So if you have access to other usb cards, give it a try.

Thanks a lot. I changed th PCIe USB card, but still the same error messages. I moved the flash drive to the new Asmedia PCIe USB card, now I have 6 free mother board usb drives. 

After removing hosthevs in the xml that the error message was referring, the kvm started up. Now it is back to get the steering wheel running and look for performance improvements. The Aida64 app says processors running at 100 Mhz, that's strange. CPUmark running at 10000 with 8 cores and about 8000 with 4 cores. 

2 hours ago, frodr said:

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 22.44.03.png

This usually happens if you have set a USB device in the VM setup page and it isn't connected at the time you startup a VM. Could be a mouse, keyboard or your steering wheel. At this point you can't see the earlier attached device in the normal VM settings tab, you have to remove the part at the bottom of the xml referring to that device.

example for a passed through mouse:

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0a12'/>
        <product id='0x0001'/>
        <address bus='3' device='3'/>
      </source>

36 minutes ago, frodr said:

The Aida64 app says processors running at 100 Mhz, that's strange

I never had Aida reporting the cpu clocks correctly in a KVM VM.