Pluging HDDs to HBA instead of motherboard SATA ports

1 minute ago, Opawesome said:

I just bought an LSI 9201-16i PCIe HBA . I am planning to unplug my HDDs from the motherboard SATA ports and plug them to this PCIe HBA instead.

Does anyone know if that will required any particular procedure or reconfiguration of my array ?

Nope, nothing special.  I did the same thing not too long ago with a Dell H310.  unRAID tracks disks by serial number, so, you should  be able to just insert the card and plug in the SATA cables removing them from the MB SATA ports.

Just remember to leave SATA SSDs (if you have them) plugged into the MB SATA ports so they are properly TRIMmed.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Hoopster said:

Nope, nothing special.  I did the same thing not too long ago with a Dell H310.  unRAID tracks disks by serial number, so, you should  be able to just insert the card and plug in the SATA cables removing them from the MB SATA ports.

Just remember to leave SATA SSDs (if you have them) plugged into the MB SATA ports so they are properly TRIMmed.

Hi Hoopster.

Thanks for the prompt, clear and concise answer !

I wish you a good day/night.

G