HDDs overheating

Hi all,

I have 3 data disks in my array, all Seagate 4TB NAS drives. They're in a 4-bay cage (rosewill) sitting on top of a wire shelf. The bottom wire shelf has all the other components (mainboard, psu, cache & parity drives, etc.).

For the last few weeks, every time there's any extended read/write operations to the array disks, they overheat. This could be the regular parity checks or any other operation. No such problems over the summer when the home was warmer, but interestingly, now that its cooler, the drives are acting up.

I've pointed two case fans towards the side of the HDD cage but its not having much effect.

Anyone run into this situation? Looking for some ideas to help with this problem.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, itlists said:

Right now, one of them is at 108C. Usually, they average around 55-60C

108c, that is off the charts, never heard of such a thing, that is 226 degrees Fahrenheit, I believe max operating temp on Seagate Ironwolf drives is 70c, similar on WD Red NAS drives.  Something seem off, you need to improve you airflow ASAP, make sure fans are working, install more fans.  Where is your NAS located? Closet? Dungeon?

Edited by jbear
4 hours ago, SnickySnacks said:

When you say "wire shelf" do you literally mean they are sitting exposed on a wire shelf and not in any sort of PC case?

I got the idea from a mining rig build: https://gpu0.com/mining/6-gpu-mining-rig-build-assembly/

5 minutes ago, jbear said:

108c, that is off the charts, never heard of such a thing, that is 226 degrees Fahrenheit, I believe max operating temp on Seagate Ironwolf drives is 70c, similar on WD Red NAS drives.  Something seem off, you need to improve you airflow ASAP, make sure fans are working, install more fans.  Where is your NAS located? Closet? Dungeon?

No idea what's going on. Its in the basement in the utility room.

As soon as the pre-clear completes on this drive, I'll turn it off and remove all drives from the cage.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:21 AM, itlists said:

So I took out all three drives from the cage and have them connected 'open-air'.

Started pre-clear on the third drive and immediately it shows 133C  LOL!!

The drive is cool to the touch top and bottom; barely any heat. So is this faulty reporting or a bad drive?

Something definitely wrong.  Would be hot to touch if it was really that hot.  If you click the disk what does it report the temperature as under attributes? 

3 minutes ago, Chris Pollard said:

Something definitely wrong.  Would be hot to touch if it was really that hot.  If you click the disk what does it report the temperature as under attributes? 

Attributes shows the reported temperature. I suspect it may be a bad drive? The other two don't fluctuate as much as the third one does.