LSI 9205-8i or LSI 9207-8i for a PCIE 3.0x4 slot

Hi, I have a motherboard with a open PCIE x16 running at PCIe 3.0 x4 speed.   I'm not sure what if I should get the LSI 9205-8i or the LSI 9207-8i controller.   The LSI 9205-8i runs at PCIe 2.0 x8 and the LSI 9207-8i x8.   Both have the x8 slot.   I would like to get the 9207-8i to be future proof but I'm not sure if I would have a better chance of the 9205-8i working.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

David

19 hours ago, davidst95 said:

Hi, I have a motherboard with a open PCIE x16 running at PCIe 3.0 x4 speed.   I'm not sure what if I should get the LSI 9205-8i or the LSI 9207-8i controller.   The LSI 9205-8i runs at PCIe 2.0 x8 and the LSI 9207-8i x8.   Both have the x8 slot.   I would like to get the 9207-8i to be future proof but I'm not sure if I would have a better chance of the 9205-8i working.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

David

I also recommend the 9207-8i - bought mine for only € 109.-

A very good price for an 8-port controller and fully compatible with unraid 😉

But be carefull: In a normal PC-Case this controller needs active cooling because its designed for a server-case with strong airflow.

The minimum airflow must be 200lfm (max. operating Temp 55° / Power consumption ~9,8W).

I am using this 3D-printed braket for the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX from ShapeWays:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NET3LH5QP/fan-bracket-for-lsi-9207-8i?productConfiguration=104311341&etId=192375185&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

Noctua fan braket.jpg

Edited by Zonediver
On 10/12/2019 at 6:54 AM, Zonediver said:

I also recommend the 9207-8i - bought mine for only € 109.-

A very good price for an 8-port controller and fully compatible with unraid 😉

But be carefull: In a normal PC-Case this controller needs active cooling because its designed for a server-case with strong airflow.

The minimum airflow must be 200lfm (max. operating Temp 55° / Power consumption ~9,8W).

I am using this 3D-printed braket for the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX from ShapeWays:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NET3LH5QP/fan-bracket-for-lsi-9207-8i?productConfiguration=104311341&etId=192375185&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

Thanks for the reply.   That's good to know about the heat.    Is there the same heat issue with LSI 9205-8i?   Also, I would put the controller on the last pcie slot.   Could I put a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case and blow up on to it?   Thanks again!

David

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, dopeytree said:

Hi gang can you confirm if the LSI 9207-8I is a pci3 slot? what kind of speeds do you guys get?

It is PCIe 3.0, you should expect 400MB/s+ per device with 8 devices, assuming no DMI bottlenecks, but more than enough or 8 HDDs, with a x1 link there would be a bottleneck, if it works, I remember some LSI HBAs not working at x1.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 1:26 AM, JorgeB said:

It is PCIe 3.0, you should expect 400MB/s+ per device with 8 devices, assuming no DMI bottlenecks, but more than enough or 8 HDDs, with a x1 link there would be a bottleneck, if it works, I remember some LSI HBAs not working at x1.

Sorry for the necro.
I've looked through google for a while now and cant actually find an answer.

I have a couple LSI 9207-8i's and am thinking about just rebuilding my entire system because of unraid stability problems.
I also want to run a GPU for VM's in the future as well as 1-2 extra pcie slots for networking/drives.

A lot of the motherboards I am looking at for AM5 have PCIE 4.0x16 slots running at x1 speeds. The HBA's are PCIE3.0.

My question is plugging in a 3.0 device into a 4.0 x1 port, will I get 4.0x1 performance or 3.0x1 performance? 
Going from potentially bottlenecked to 'very much bottlenecked' during parity checks/rebuilds.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, RaidUnnewb said:

Sorry for the necro.
I've looked through google for a while now and cant actually find an answer.

I have a couple LSI 9207-8i's and am thinking about just rebuilding my entire system because of unraid stability problems.
I also want to run a GPU for VM's in the future as well as 1-2 extra pcie slots for networking/drives.

A lot of the motherboards I am looking at for AM5 have PCIE 4.0x16 slots running at x1 speeds. The HBA's are PCIE3.0.

My question is plugging in a 3.0 device into a 4.0 x1 port, will I get 4.0x1 performance or 3.0x1 performance? 
Going from potentially bottlenecked to 'very much bottlenecked' during parity checks/rebuilds.

Thanks!

What motherboard & CPU do you have?
May help us shed a light on some recommendations for you.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:50 PM, boomam said:

What motherboard & CPU do you have?
May help us shed a light on some recommendations for you.

I have a 7950x and will be purchasing a motherboard. Use my current one and buy a 7800x3d maybe.
If, I can figure out how to get all the PCI slots I need working.

Will need an AM5 mobo with 4 slots, 1 for GPU, 1 for networking 10gig, 2 for the HBA's. Case has room for 15 HDD's. Each HBA can have 6.
Each HBA is a pcie 8slot card. So I need at least 4size slots to put em into.

All the Mobo's I come across have 3 size 16 slots running in pcie 4.0 16/2/2 modes or something, and a 1 size slot, running at pcie3x1.
Cant find something with the slots I need. And the 7950x is an expensive card to just not use.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:44 PM, RaidUnnewb said:

I have a 7950x and will be purchasing a motherboard. Use my current one and buy a 7800x3d maybe.
If, I can figure out how to get all the PCI slots I need working.

Will need an AM5 mobo with 4 slots, 1 for GPU, 1 for networking 10gig, 2 for the HBA's. Case has room for 15 HDD's. Each HBA can have 6.
Each HBA is a pcie 8slot card. So I need at least 4size slots to put em into.

All the Mobo's I come across have 3 size 16 slots running in pcie 4.0 16/2/2 modes or something, and a 1 size slot, running at pcie3x1.
Cant find something with the slots I need. And the 7950x is an expensive card to just not use.

So you basically need 3x PCI-E 16x slots, with two running at 8x so your two HBAs can run at max speed?

Note, the 9207's are PCI-E x4 cards....

The issue you are going to have is that desktop CPUs have a limit amount of PCI-E lanes to go around.

Almost everything on the board will use a lane in some capacity. So you're gonna need to find a board that has the PCI-E/M.2 layout you have, whilst sacrificing other features, like Wi-Fi. Finding one with just the right combo will likely be an exercise in reading spec sheets and block diagrams.

A quick cursory search on PCPartPicker shows that the "ASRock X670E PG Lightning" could be worth looking at perhaps.

2.5Gbps networking

3x PCI-E x16 slots

• 1 that runs at 16x
  • 1 that runs at 4x 
  • 1 that runs at 1x

2x m.2 slots, that aren't listed as overlapping with the lanes elseware.

Overall that gives you the ability to have 2x 9207 HBAs running, a spare 1x slot and 3x m.2s.

Would need to check the block diagram to be 100% sure, but sounds like it could work, perhaps.

27 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

They are x8.

Well corrected.

Regardless - We're still looking at 4 GB/s throughput on a 4x electrical connection - If you are assuming a fully loaded 9207-8i card, 8 drives, 500-550Mb/s throughput, the 4x connector is not going to limit said throughput as you are at the theoretical max, or as good as, of a SATA connector.
If using SAS though, perhaps.

On 6/2/2023 at 7:41 AM, boomam said:

Well corrected.

Regardless - We're still looking at 4 GB/s throughput on a 4x electrical connection - If you are assuming a fully loaded 9207-8i card, 8 drives, 500-550Mb/s throughput, the 4x connector is not going to limit said throughput as you are at the theoretical max, or as good as, of a SATA connector.
If using SAS though, perhaps.

Yes.

Thank you, you summed up my dilemma perfectly lol. Though, I am further screwed because I want to add my old 1070 gpu to the 16x slot for VM use. So having 4 slots working at x4 speeds is all I need. They just don't make em.

But the key to all this, and I hope it helps other people googling, is a PCI 3.0 x8 (or whatever) device hooked to a PCI 4.0 x1 speed slot, will only work at PCI 3.0 x1 speeds.