davidst95

LSI 9205-8i or LSI 9207-8i for a PCIE 3.0x4 slot

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi, I have a motherboard with a open PCIE x16 running at PCIe 3.0 x4 speed.   I'm not sure what if I should get the LSI 9205-8i or the LSI 9207-8i controller.   The LSI 9205-8i runs at PCIe 2.0 x8 and the LSI 9207-8i x8.   Both have the x8 slot.   I would like to get the 9207-8i to be future proof but I'm not sure if I would have a better chance of the 9205-8i working.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

David

19 hours ago, davidst95 said:

Hi, I have a motherboard with a open PCIE x16 running at PCIe 3.0 x4 speed.   I'm not sure what if I should get the LSI 9205-8i or the LSI 9207-8i controller.   The LSI 9205-8i runs at PCIe 2.0 x8 and the LSI 9207-8i x8.   Both have the x8 slot.   I would like to get the 9207-8i to be future proof but I'm not sure if I would have a better chance of the 9205-8i working.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

David

I also recommend the 9207-8i - bought mine for only € 109.-

A very good price for an 8-port controller and fully compatible with unraid 😉

But be carefull: In a normal PC-Case this controller needs active cooling because its designed for a server-case with strong airflow.

The minimum airflow must be 200lfm (max. operating Temp 55° / Power consumption ~9,8W).

I am using this 3D-printed braket for the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX from ShapeWays:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NET3LH5QP/fan-bracket-for-lsi-9207-8i?productConfiguration=104311341&etId=192375185&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

Noctua fan braket.jpg

Edited by Zonediver

On 10/12/2019 at 6:54 AM, Zonediver said:

I also recommend the 9207-8i - bought mine for only € 109.-

A very good price for an 8-port controller and fully compatible with unraid 😉

But be carefull: In a normal PC-Case this controller needs active cooling because its designed for a server-case with strong airflow.

The minimum airflow must be 200lfm (max. operating Temp 55° / Power consumption ~9,8W).

I am using this 3D-printed braket for the Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX from ShapeWays:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NET3LH5QP/fan-bracket-for-lsi-9207-8i?productConfiguration=104311341&etId=192375185&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

Thanks for the reply.   That's good to know about the heat.    Is there the same heat issue with LSI 9205-8i?   Also, I would put the controller on the last pcie slot.   Could I put a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case and blow up on to it?   Thanks again!

David

All these cards are designed to be in a high air flow server chasis, so they all need some kind of active cooling added in a standard case. Any kind of fan blowing air on or across the heatsink should be sufficient enough.