WireGuard quickstart

I am very new. Just built my first demo UnRaid server before I convert my existing file server to UnRaid.

I was able to install and setup WireGuard plugin (2020.02.23) on my server and I was able to get my iPhone to connect to the VPN using the wireguard app and . However I am not able to access the server URL via chrome on the phone to access the server. When I try this phone on the cell carrier, not on wifi.. but stil no luck. I have tried url 10.253.0.0, 10.253.0.1 and 10.253.0.2 with no luck. Am I not using the correct url?

I am running version 6.8.3 with a certificate on the server, which creates this type of url "https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0f70a3509e8cda340.unraid.net/Plugins". My disk are not encrypted.

I have done the port forward, I believe correctly on my FIOS router.  the 32400 is for my Plex.

image.thumb.png.2354a6aa8606762f2260737c1ee0f055.png

I might be giving you more info than is needed but figured better safe than sorry. Any help is much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.71d2d90d35edb57f7402967e83129e42.png

image.thumb.png.8f0e60129cb31df305d98aefb8499124.png

image.thumb.png.d1192d0399ea73fd5b0bbf32030903b6.pngimage.thumb.png.27d1c3e3568f983a872116a102126f40.png

image.png

I got it working. I ending up resetting everything and starting over. Not sure if that fixed because at the end this time I bounced my router...... when it came back up I got my iphone, turned off cellular service and setup VPN again on wireguard app. I got in, then tried my 10.253.0.2 address and the loggin for unraid popped up.... logged and can see all the areas.... great.

Maybe I just needed to reboot my router.... anyway I am in and wanted to share in case anyone has not bounced their router enough....:)

On 7/8/2020 at 1:11 PM, Gdtech said:

Just upgraded to Beta 24 and lost activity on dash, I am connected now and using Tunnel but the dashboard has this displaying

This is resolved in the latest version of the Dynamix WireGuard plugin

9 hours ago, Alex.b said:

Update: Changed from "Remote access to Server" to "Remote access to LAN" and it's working, do you know why handshake doesn't work with remote access to server ?

Are the desktop and unraid systems on different networks with different IP ranges? 

Also, be sure that you download a new client config every time you make an adjustment in the webgui.

Hi - I would appreciate any help to troubleshoot my Wireguard connection via Pfsense to Unraid. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps on page 1 with no success. I have been trying to connect using my Samsung Galaxy S9 with wifi disabled (data comms only). My pfsense ability is limited - I have not been able to detect any attempts to access the router by Wireguard using packet capture, but I may not have set this up correctly.

Screenshots attached - please ask if more are needed

Pfsense port fwd firewall rule.PNG

Pfsense port fwd settings.PNG

Phone_WireGuard.png

Phone_WireGuardfail.png

Unraid network settings.PNG

Unraid VPN settings.PNG

32 minutes ago, Steviewunda said:

Phone_WireGuardfail.png

You are using the wrong url here :) 

Once you have started WireGuard on your phone, open your browser and visit:

http://<unraid internal ip>

(Note: since we are going to an ip address, it must be http not https. That should then redirect to the proper url.)

19 minutes ago, Steviewunda said:

Yep that did it thanks very much!!! - I was under the impression that I had to use the duckdns address to circumvent problems with dynamically assigned ip addresses?

If you look at the WireGuard client screenshot you'll see it connects to the duckdns address.  Once the connection has been made you use the network pretty much as if you were physically one the network.

Hi! I am struggling to get my Wireguard client to access the internet through my VPN.

With my client, I can ping my Unraid server, ping docker containers, ping other devices on my LAN, and use my local DNS resolver to correctly resolve hosts. From other devices on my LAN, I can ping my client through its VPN address. From my Unraid server, I can connect to the internet. However, I cannot connect to the internet from my client (I cannot ping 8.8.8.8) or connect to my LAN through its external IP. 

My Wireguard configuration is attached as an image. I have enabled Host access to custom networks in my docker settings. I have created the static route and port forward in my router (Archer C8). 

Update: I got a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 from my client. The connection goes to my Unraid server’s address in wg0 (192.168.1.1) then to my router (192.168.0.1). So I suppose that my router is probably refusing to forward/NAT traffic outside my LAN subnet. Connections to addresses on my LAN don’t need to go through my router, so it makes sense I could only get to those addresses. Any help would still be appreciated.

Update 2: It was in fact my router’s fault. Unfortunately, on the Archer C8, there is no way to get into the configs and allow it to forward packets outside the LAN subnet. I also can’t find any CFW for the C8v4 either, so that kinda sucks. If anyone else runs into this same issue (doubtful), the solution is to host the DHCP server off of the router. Then, you can set the DHCP subnet and the subnet the router uses separately. 

Update 3: To be clear, on the Archer C8v4, you need to set the LAN subnet to contain both the desired LAN subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.1/24) and the Wireguard subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.1/24). I tell the Archer to use 192.168.0.1/16. Then, your DHCP server should give out the desired LAN subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.1/24). I only say this because I hit the same problem again, forgot the solution, and then became confused as to why I was saying DHCP servers had anything to do with it.

8EF6DB87-FB51-4D6E-BD36-46FCFEEF2C89.jpeg

Edited by deaton.dg
additional clarity as I confused myself
On 10/12/2019 at 4:58 PM, blackrabbit said:

@ljm42 I have attached some screenshots that show what we are talking about. 

1. Active Connection on Phone

IMG_0735.thumb.jpeg.b2b9f2d5587f198a9ea6e9712047676e.jpeg

2. Connection timed out when I tried to reach the unraid server. 

IMG_0737.thumb.jpeg.0eeda8435ddd227a512ea5a282f7c283.jpeg
3. Settings for WireGuard

Capture.thumb.PNG.8ce786f9fe8d98cf43fa410731cffe3b.PNG

4. Dashboard VPN module

Capture2.PNG.055afd89e899d386522137fbbf8a4a5d.PNG

I am having the same issue. 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, Eviseration said:

I am having the same issue. 

Those screenshots show that the WireGuard client is not able to communicate with the WireGuard server on Unraid. The most likely cause is an issue with the port forward through the router (that was the issue the person you quoted had). You can also check the "troubleshooting" section of the guide for more ideas, I've tried to consolidate the list of potential issues/solutions we have found there.

OK, I had this all working great on my phone and laptop some months ago.

But today when I tried it, I was able to connect fine on my phone, but could not access the internet.  I could access my unraid server, so I know it's working, and i have "remote tunneled access" selected as the type.

image.thumb.png.4180ebb315ee2e6fe33b93609fdc276d.png

I'm not sure if some update borked it, but is there anything I'm missing?  Is there a known issue that is preventing internet access?

Edit: resolved my issue by adding my router's IP address to the Peer DNS server section

Edited by Coolsaber57