Jump to content
bonienl

Dynamix WireGuard VPN

332 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, ljm42 said:

the static route is definitely required

Yes i know i tried it with it enabled to get it working. But i could not access the internet nor the network. So its disabled for now till i can figure something out.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, SpuddyUK said:

Any ideas why the dashboard widget is showing an active tunnel when I disconnect many minutes beforehand? Android client. I even dropped my device into airplane mode to be sure it wasn't still connected somehow. Is there a way to get it more accurate or poll connection status quicker?

 

Thanks in advance, everything else is working perfectly!

 

image.png.5c69c40c4ef1b6e96f2be5d6cdef0b89.png

Did you get any answer to this? I have same issue. If it is an issue that is.

 

TIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, SpuddyUK said:

Any ideas why the dashboard widget is showing an active tunnel when I disconnect many minutes beforehand? Android client. I even dropped my device into airplane mode to be sure it wasn't still connected somehow. Is there a way to get it more accurate or poll connection status quicker?

 

Thanks in advance, everything else is working perfectly!

 

image.png.5c69c40c4ef1b6e96f2be5d6cdef0b89.png

  

3 hours ago, Shomil Saini said:

Did you get any answer to this? I have same issue. If it is an issue that is.

 

TIA!

 

"Active" simply means the tunnel is enabled on the Unraid side, has nothing to do with whether someone is currently connected to it.
 

The "handshake" column shows that "Peer 1" last connected to tunnel WG0 7 minutes and 23 seconds ago.

 

If you no longer want the tunnel to be available for connections, go to Settings -> VPN Manager and change the "Active" slider for tunnel WG0 to "Inactive". If you want to "forget" the fact that "Peer 1" connected 7 minutes and 23 seconds ago but still keep the tunnel up, change the slider from Active to Inactivate and then back to Active. That will clear the connection list.

 

 

Edited by ljm42

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/21/2020 at 1:30 PM, ljm42 said:

  

 

"Active" simply means the tunnel is enabled on the Unraid side, has nothing to do with whether someone is currently connected to it.
 

The "handshake" column shows that "Peer 1" last connected to tunnel WG0 7 minutes and 23 seconds ago.

 

If you no longer want the tunnel to be available for connections, go to Settings -> VPN Manager and change the "Active" slider for tunnel WG0 to "Inactive". If you want to "forget" the fact that "Peer 1" connected 7 minutes and 23 seconds ago but still keep the tunnel up, change the slider from Active to Inactivate and then back to Active. That will clear the connection list.

 

 

Thanks @ljm42, I completely understand your explanation. I think it is a wonderful add-on to have the widget on the Dashboard.

 

To me however, what the more relevant question is "Which device is currently connected and since how long?"

And a second follow up to that is "If a device is disconnected, then when was it last connected?" - this is partly vaguely answered by the current "Last Handshake Time" on Dashboard which is essentially last connection initiation time.

 

If the Dashboard can be modified by me or developers to see this, then it will be more relevant, as I have provided access to friends & family as well.

 

Cheers! and Be Safe.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Shomil Saini said:

Thanks @ljm42, I completely understand your explanation. I think it is a wonderful add-on to have the widget on the Dashboard.

 

To me however, what the more relevant question is "Which device is currently connected and since how long?"

And a second follow up to that is "If a device is disconnected, then when was it last connected?" - this is partly vaguely answered by the current "Last Handshake Time" on Dashboard which is essentially last connection initiation time.

 

If the Dashboard can be modified by me or developers to see this, then it will be more relevant, as I have provided access to friends & family as well.

 

Cheers! and Be Safe.

The dashboard is simply formatting the output of the "wg show" command provided by WireGuard. wg does not provide a counter of "how long" a device was connected, probably because it is designed to let connections seamlessly drop and reconnect. It does show the amount of data that was transferred though. I guess WireGuard feels the length of time somebody was connected is less important than the amount of data they transferred.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

I guess WireGuard feels the length of time somebody was connected is less important

WireGuard is a stateless protocol, it doesn't maintain a connected or disconnected state, and hence can't keep time.

The "best" it can do is to show how long ago the last exchange took place (handshake).

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ljm42 said:

The dashboard is simply formatting the output of the "wg show" command provided by WireGuard. wg does not provide a counter of "how long" a device was connected, probably because it is designed to let connections seamlessly drop and reconnect. It does show the amount of data that was transferred though. I guess WireGuard feels the length of time somebody was connected is less important than the amount of data they transferred.

 

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

WireGuard is a stateless protocol, it doesn't maintain a connected or disconnected state, and hence can't keep time.

The "best" it can do is to show how long ago the last exchange took place (handshake).

 

Thanks for explaining guys. It makes much more sense to me now. I can understand the limitations of WireGuard.

 

Cheers! 🍻

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.