Failed USB

jrbiggs

I have a USB drive that failed. I do have a backup, but it's UNRAID 6.1.9 that I tried to upgrade but now it won't boot.  If I installed the latest UNRAID OS on a new USB drive, and got the server booted up, can I assign the existing hard drives into slots without losing their data?  I've assigned the Parity drive without starting the array and there's a warning that says "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is started."  

Is there a way to avoid this or am I ok to assign all the data drives, start the array and then let the array re-build the parity drive?

I appreciate any response!  Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.18.53 AM.png

Edited by jrbiggs

Thank you for your quick response.  There's actually 7 drives including Parity plus a cache drive.  I am certain they're all assigned correctly, so I went ahead and started the array.  I selected "Parity is already valid" and it seems to have worked.  Now I just need to re-install docker containers, which is fine.  Thank you for your help!

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.37.04 AM.png

5 hours ago, jrbiggs said:

Now I just need to re-install docker containers, which is fine.

Before you get your containers all sorted, I'd recommend finishing the reiserfs to xfs migration that you seem to have started. You have plenty of free space, so now is the time to reorganize, before you start committing more data to the array.

Just now, jrbiggs said:

advantage to xfs

anecdotally, it is the most stable

1 minute ago, jrbiggs said:

reiserfs

Dead filesystem.  No further enhancements / bug fixes etc will ever happen

1 minute ago, jrbiggs said:

but I'm sure it's advisable to have all the disks on the array using the same file system, right?

Doesn't affect anything actually.  But reiser is not recommended to have at all.