Power consumption

Hello Unraid Community - I have the following issue - maybe someone can help here. I am running a little unraid box with only a bunch of 3 disks, a parity drive and a cache ssd. When the system is not used and all drives are in standby according to the webui dashboard the system still consumes 40 watt (yes I know this is not much) but when I click on "spin down" the power consumption drops to about 29 watt. A colleague of mine also uses unraid in a completely different bigger setup. The basis behaviour however is the same. spinning down the drives manually drops power consumption by about 10 watt. Any idea what can be done to not have to do this manually?

kind regards

chris

On 10/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, mailmonster said:

Hello Unraid Community - I have the following issue - maybe someone can help here. I am running a little unraid box with only a bunch of 3 disks, a parity drive and a cache ssd. When the system is not used and all drives are in standby according to the webui dashboard the system still consumes 40 watt (yes I know this is not much) but when I click on "spin down" the power consumption drops to about 29 watt. A colleague of mine also uses unraid in a completely different bigger setup. The basis behaviour however is the same. spinning down the drives manually drops power consumption by about 10 watt. Any idea what can be done to not have to do this manually?

kind regards

chris

It depends, what you exactly want: idle or standby.

If you set the disk to spindown automaticly, they normaly go into active/idle state, but "not" into standby.

I dont know, if you want to sleep your server but if yes, then you need the standby-state - if the disks are in idle-state, the server will never go to sleep.

You can put all your disks directly to standby-state with this command:

hdparm -y $(ls /dev/sd*|grep "[a-z]$") >/dev/null 2>&1

Edited by Zonediver
4 hours ago, mailmonster said:

kind regards

chris

Does standby drive have temperature show in dashboard ??  if yes, you may ref. below post.

In some situration, dashboard disk power state not means actual state.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:31 AM, limetech said:

At present 'emhttp' keeps track of spinning status based on "last I/O time"

Edited by Benson

thanks for the feedback so far. The hdparm command correctly sets the drives to spin down and power consumption drops also by 10 watt same as if you click on spin down button in the webgui.

But what does this mean in consquence? I want to achieve the following. 

My unraid server should not run 24/7. I want the system to use as less power as possible with my setup when it is not being actively used (no disk access) which means in my case around 28 Watt not around 40 watt.  Also I want the system to go into s3 sleep state after a period of inactivity . 

I installed the s3 sleep plugin and manually sending it to sleep works. Also it works that the system goes to sleep after I manually set the disks to spindown.  In some cases going to sleep also seems to work as it should but most of the time the system is running at 40 watt never going to disk standby nor to sleep.

There are only a few plugins and all of them are on the cache ssd not on the sata disks.

1 hour ago, mailmonster said:

thanks for the feedback so far. The hdparm command correctly sets the drives to spin down and power consumption drops also by 10 watt same as if you click on spin down button in the webgui.

But what does this mean in consquence? I want to achieve the following. 

My unraid server should not run 24/7. I want the system to use as less power as possible with my setup when it is not being actively used (no disk access) which means in my case around 28 Watt not around 40 watt.  Also I want the system to go into s3 sleep state after a period of inactivity . 

I installed the s3 sleep plugin and manually sending it to sleep works. Also it works that the system goes to sleep after I manually set the disks to spindown.  In some cases going to sleep also seems to work as it should but most of the time the system is running at 40 watt never going to disk standby nor to sleep.

There are only a few plugins and all of them are on the cache ssd not on the sata disks.

What you need are "proper" sleep settings.

I mentioned it, that the HDDs are not always go into the standby-state - they are often in active/idle-state that prevents the server going to sleep.

What you have to do is this:

Sleep Settings.jpg

This ensures that the disks go into standby after waking up the server so the server can go to sleep properly next time.

The time delay of 180 seconds prevents errormous messages in the log if the initialization of a controller is aborted - in my case the SAS 9207-8i.

To check if every disk is at standby-state, open a terminal and put in:

hdparm -C /dev/sd[a-z]

Edited by Zonediver
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, mjeshurun said:

Hi Chris, sorry if I'm reawakening an old thread, but where in the webui dashboard can we see the power consumption of the UnRAID server?

I cannot see such data in UnRAID 6.10.3.

Hope you can help.

Unraid (by itself) can not provide such data - what you need is an external Watt-Meter at the socket of the server 👍

...or a UPS

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1