Disks not spinning down after a reboot, after being set to 15min.

Flam3h

Hi, 

I've been having an ongoing issue with my Unraid system regarding having my drives spin down after the server has been restarted. 

I have my drives set to spin down after 15mins as they aren't used often. This is in settings>disk settings for all drives. 

When I click on the individual drives, I have made sure they are all set to 'default' as their spin down delay, so they should all be using the default 15min timer set in disk settings.

However, the drives don't spin down after a fresh reboot. It requires me to manually spin them down first, and then from there on they spin down after 15 minutes as intended. 

Nothing wakes / spins up the drives randomly, there is nothing reading or being written to them. As I mentioned, once I have spun them down manually, they stay spun down until they are used and then they spin down after 15 minutes as intended. 

Any idea why they won't spin down after 15 minutes automatically after a restart?. I've upgraded to 6.8.0 and it's still the same as before. 

I've tried setting to never and then back to 15 mins, but I can't get it to work until I manually spin them down after a reboot. 

Edited by Flam3h

Anyone have any ideas?. 

Is it possible for someone to do a test and put their drives to sleep after 15min, do a reboot and see if they turn off as intended without having to manually spin them down?.

Would love to know if it's a bug or something going wrong with mine. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Flam3h said:

Anyone have any ideas?. 

Is it possible for someone to do a test and put their drives to sleep after 15min, do a reboot and see if they turn off as intended without having to manually spin them down?.

Would love to know if it's a bug or something going wrong with mine. 

Thanks 

That's a normal behavior.

After "every" boot/reboot you need to push the spindown-button only once and all is fine - until the next boot/reboot.

Edited by Zonediver
5 hours ago, Zonediver said:

That's a normal behavior.

After "every" boot/reboot you need to push the spindown-button only once and all is fine - until the next boot/reboot.

Eh? Not that normal.

I rarely if ever hit the spin down button and my disks always spin down normally after a reboot (once folder caching is done doing its thing).

Flam3h:
How sure are you that the drives aren't spinning down eventually? Fix Common Problems is running 10 minutes after your system comes up and you can see in the log that the system issues a spin down ~15 minutes after that, which generates a (likely harmless) error on an NVME drive:

Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (138): /usr/sbin/hdparm -y /dev/nvme0n1
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root:  HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root: 
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root: /dev/nvme0n1:
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root:  issuing standby command
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (138): exit status: 25

Other than that, everything seems normal in the log.

Edited by SnickySnacks
1 hour ago, SnickySnacks said:

Eh? Not that normal.

I rarely if ever hit the spin down button and my disks always spin down normally after a reboot (once folder caching is done doing its thing).

How sure are you that the drives aren't spinning down eventually? Fix Common Problems is running 10 minutes after your system comes up and you can see in the log that the system issues a spin down ~15 minutes after that, which generates a (likely harmless) error on an NVME drive:

Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (138): /usr/sbin/hdparm -y /dev/nvme0n1
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root:  HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root: 
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root: /dev/nvme0n1:
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower root:  issuing standby command
Oct 14 01:26:33 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (138): exit status: 25

Other than that, everything seems normal in the log.

I use unraid for almost 10 years now - and i am sure.

And by the way: My system always behaves like this - so it's an empirical value - but you can ask bonienl too, if you like.

Edited by Zonediver
6 hours ago, Squid said:

Huh?!?!?🤔

Yeah that sounds weird - I know, but after a boot the disk 1 never shuts down and sometimes other disks are also not shuting down.

It seems they have some random state after a boot.

I have to either press the spindown button or use the hdparm -y parameter ...

Edited by Zonediver

Thanks for the replies. 

After looking into the NVME standby error, I decided to set the cache drive to 'Never' spin down instead of default. 

Changed the individual drives to 15mins and then back to default with restarts in between. 

It is now working as intended and the drives now spin down without having to manually spin down after a reboot. 

8 hours ago, Flam3h said:

Changed the individual drives to 15mins and then back to default with restarts in between. 

I was just anout to suggest that, though without the restarts. Sometimes settings fail to "stick" and toggling them away from your preferred value and back again usually fixes the problem. I wonder if @Zonediver has tried doing that because the behaviour he describes might be "normal" for him but it is not what most people experience.