At reboot, eth0 becomes eth1

Kaldek

I have an unraid 6.7 system based off an X99 motherboard and i7-6950X with 64GB of memory.  This system has an onboard r8169 ethernet NIC and a PCI-e TP-Link branded e1000 NIC.  The PCI-e card is in its own IOMMU group and is used as a sniffer NIC attached to a VM (which runs NtopNG) and the cable is connected to a mirror port off my network switch.

The onboard NIC has been configured to be eth0 for...well...forever, and the PCI-e card is eth1.   Today, I rebooted and eth0 is now eth1, and of course eth1 is now eth0.   I cannot for the life of me work out what the hell is going on.  Dmesg of my system is attached.   Note this dmesg includes when I switched the cables around and allowed the PCI-e card to operate as eth0 so I can at least use my blimmin' server.

I need to FORCE the onboard NIC to *always* be eth0 no matter what.  I cannot rely on this renumbering.  What happens when it decides to renumber itself again?

dmesg.txt

Edited by Kaldek
4 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Maybe a silly question but where do you put this in?

On the append line of the desired boot mode in syslinux.cfg.  

I don't pass that particular parameter, but, I do have security mitigations turned off and this is how it alters the 'append' line in syslinux.cfg:

image.png.e25fd372a00a21f2cb7e656706f1bd1b.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1