Dashboard reports SMART errors - SMART reports don't

FreeMan

The dashboard on my Backup server (UnRAID Plus 6.7.2) is showing 2 drives with SMART errors:

image.png.03f30f5710601fee351f1b95bb5e284a.png

However, extended SMART tests on both drives show no errors.

image.png.05fedbdaa552480fecbc3d73b32cdc9b.png

image.png.7df9aad1d513c65466653a434b866807.png

(OK, just realized that the Disk 2 test was aborted - I think the UPS shut the server down when the power was out for a while. I'm starting a full extended test again now. However, short tests have been run since then with no sign of error. I will return to post results of the new Extended SMART test on Disk2 as soon as it's completed.)

It's been like this for a couple of weeks (yes, I've been slow to get back here to ask...) and it's survived a reboot or two with this mismatched display, so I don't believe that it's just a quick quirk.  Also, I've noticed that these two drives do not spin down now - I have a status sent via Pushover 3 times per day and they're always spinning. Before the errors appeared on the dashboard, they would spin down like the rest. The server is being written to by Duplicati with 3 different backups running to it each day, but those backups only run about 15 minutes as they check files, backup the few new changes and prune the oldest backups - there should be plenty of time for all drives to spin down. There isn't anything else touching this server that I'm aware of, nothing new (plugins or dockers) has been installed and I don't have any torrents, movies, TV shows, etc that would be read from the machine - it's purely backup.

These are, obviously, older drives - they've done several years service in my main server and have been migrated to the backup server where they should see much lower usage and live out their convalescence in relative peace and ease.

1) What would cause this mismatch between what's being reported by the disk and what's being reported on the dashboard?

2) Is the mismatch something to be concerned about?

3) Is there anything to be concerned about on either drive?

(It is odd to note that the sort order of SMART tests for the 2 drives is totally different, and that they're really not sorted, especially for Disk2. But that's a very minor quibble and probably down to the way the vendor reports it.)

backup-smart-20191015-0904 (Parity).zip backup-smart-20191015-0900 (Disk2).zip backup-diagnostics-20191015-1310.zip

Edited by FreeMan

You can also get that type of indication on the Dashboard if the CRC error count has increased.  CRC errors do not show up when you run a SMART test as they indicate connection issues rather than disk failures.   In such a case clicking the Orange icon and selecting the Acknowledge option will make the icon turn green until another error occurs.   The CRC count never resets to 0 so Unraid only notifies you again if it increases.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You can also get that type of indication on the Dashboard if the CRC error count has increased.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I have one error on each drive:

199	UDMA CRC error count	0x0032	200	200	000	Old age	Always	Never	1

Thanks! And I never even thought to click the orange thumb down to notice that there were options there.

Hmm... maybe this isn't completely solved.

I'd started the extended SMART test on Disk2 after noticing that the last one had been aborted. Now this:

image.png.6e203cc50acd7f4616937132b1a198b6.png

The test was aborted by host. I'm 100% certain that the server didn't go down (current uptime > 25 days). The drive is not spinning, but I don't know when it spun down. I'd think that an extended SMART self-test would be enough to prevent UNRAID from spinning down the drive, wouldn't it?

Why is the extended test aborting?

Why are there now 3 extended tests listed including a new one (that wasn't in the previous screen shot) at only 6533 hours when the drive's been powered for 72074 hours and head flying hours are 55496?

Is there anything else in the SMART log that I should be worried about?

Updated SMART log and Diagnostics attached.

backup-diagnostics-20191015-1849.zip backup-smart-20191015-1439.zip