Read Write Errors Disabled Drive

betaman

I had a drive go down last night. Syslog showed some errors. I captured the Diagnostics (attached) but was unable to get the drive to show up after several start/stops of the array. I just went ahead and replaced the drive since I had a spare handy but was hoping to get some feedback on my next steps.

The drive is still rebuilding now and I'm currently out of SATA slots in my server. With the higher capacity drive I used, I could copy over data from a smaller drive to the new one as well so I can put the failed drive back in the machine and do SMART tests and run a pre-clear.  The issue is I'm not sure of the best process to reduce the array by one drive.  I remember a long time ago do this without losing parity but not sure that's still an option in the latest version of UnRAID (6.7.2)?  I checked the FAQ but I wasn't sure if it was updated with the most current best practice for doing this?  Several of my drives are old so I'm a little concerned about being uprotected while Parity rebuilds.

tower-diagnostics-20191015-0231.zip

30 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There are only two options, both described here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Shrink_array

Note that there have been reports of the script being very slow with current release, but you can still do it manually.

Thanks for the quick response.  Is there not a good preclear tool for the current release?  What do you suggest I do to determine the state of the failed drive?

Also, can you tell anything from the diagnostics about the significance of the errors?

1 minute ago, betaman said:

What do you suggest I do to determine the state of the failed drive?

SMART report and run a SMART long test if needed.

1 minute ago, betaman said:

Also, can you tell anything from the diagnostics about the significance of the errors?

I can only see the disk dropped offline, because of that there's no SMART report on the diags posted.

• Thanks 1
On 10/18/2019 at 2:41 AM, johnnie.black said:

SMART looks fine, thought those disks are known to have a high failure rate.

I remember flashing FW but knock on wood, I think most of my “red ball” issues are related to my backplanes or cables.

Edited by betaman